Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Jörn Nettingsmeier <ne...@apache.org> on 2007/11/02 12:42:22 UTC

Re: Cocoon learning curve.

hi esteban!

Esteban Wagner wrote:
> Hi,
>  Im evaluating cocoon, I ve read several documentation but I cant figure
> out how big will be the learning process for my team.
> Wonder how much time could take for 10 developers who dont know anything
> about cocoon, to create a simple web CMS.
>
> CMS should support:
> * roles access control,
> * caching,
> * templating(XML,XSLT),
> * some front end WYSIWYG editors for template instantiation.(like BXE or
> KUPU).
 >
> I know there are open source projects that already achieves my
> goals(lenya) but its for a university course and we need to create our
> own project.

still, perhaps it might be interesting to have a look at lenya and then
focus on adding features, code auditing or optimization as your project?
lenya does have pretty neat role-based access control, but it sure could
do with an extra couple eyeballs for a security audit.
it also uses ehcache, but it's caching friendliness could be improved a lot.
our editor support is doing quite well with a selection of 6 editors,
but there's always another one out there that might be fun to integrate :)

then again, lenya's learning curve is quite steep initially - what time
frame does your assignment have?

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier

   - Ken Thompson.