Posted to dev@pivot.apache.org by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com> on 2009/03/27 12:49:39 UTC

Re: Enhancement suggestions [was JIRA]

>i was thinking at something simple and not necessarily general,
>like a Pivot convention to simply import/export data in a customized
>xml format, like the JSONSerializer does (but in this case it's using
>a standard and more simpler format).

Ah, OK. I had actually considered building something like this as well. I was calling the custom XML format "SXON" - Simple XML Object Notation. It was basically an XML equivalent of JSON. I never got around to building it, though, since we already had JSONSerializer.

>maybe we could think at a generic XMLSerializer to pass a generic
>implementation (Stax, XStream, etc) to do the real code/decode work.
>In any case: low priority, ok ?

I'm not sure what XStream does, but StAX has nothing to do with "objects" or classes - it simply serializes elements. We'd need to layer a notion of data structures on top of it. WTKXSerializer currently works this way.

>> So, we'd have a test subdirectory under each project that would contain source code?
>Yes, for example the Maven standard layout for a library (jar) project
>is like this:
>
>http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-standard-directory-layout.html

Right, src/main AND src/test. I've seen that on Maven-based projects and I don't particularly like that arrangement. It's a minor distinction but I think src and src-test would be preferable.

>Then, for example we could thing at using some of these dir, like
>src/main/resources to put inside wtk files (if useful) and other
>resources, and add some others like src/test/webapp to put test web
>applications needed to publish data to pivot clients, etc ...

We generally store our resources in the same directories as the classes that use them, so we don't need to duplicate or synchronize directory structures.

>Oh, sorry, one little thing of Pivot source projects:
>will it be possible to rename them, having a name like pivot-core,
>pivot-starter, etc ?
>Having all them in a workspace mixed with others projects can give confusion ...

I'd suggest using multiple workspaces. Create one dedicated to Pivot and one (or more) for your other projects.

Re: Enhancement suggestions [was JIRA]

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Greg,

> Ah, OK. I had actually considered building something like this as well. I was calling the custom XML format "SXON" - Simple XML Object Notation. It was basically an XML equivalent of JSON. I never got around to building it, though, since we already had JSONSerializer.
Great.

> Right, src/main AND src/test. I've seen that on Maven-based projects and I don't particularly like that arrangement. It's a minor distinction but I think src and src-test would be preferable.
As you, I don't like too this maven default in layout ... but changing
from it could give problems (to pivot application creators) creating
new projects with that standard archetype.
In Eclipse with one of maven support plugins all is synchronized
(standard eclipse build without maven, or eclipse with maven, or maven
standalone).
So, for me both solutions are usable.

Ah, some months ago when I've tried to convert starter to maven i
created pom files also for Pivot subprojects, tell me if useful, at
least as a starting point (some modifications/optimization still are
required).

> We generally store our resources in the same directories as the classes that use them, so we don't need to duplicate or synchronize directory structures.
Yes, but to simplify views, this could help, or if not for wtk files
(that could be treated like code) I'd prefer to move other contents to
the dedicated dir resource as from standard ... but it's a personal
preference.

> I'd suggest using multiple workspaces. Create one dedicated to Pivot and one (or more) for your other projects.
Yes, i have already, thanks.

Bye,
Sandro