Posted to dev@creadur.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2009/01/15 14:11:55 UTC

RAT in a Maven build

Hi,

I'd like to include a RAT run in a Maven build process. What's the
best way to do that?

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: RAT in a Maven build

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 3:20 PM, Jochen Wiedmann
<jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 2:51 PM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I was thinking of setting a CI build that automatically checks the
>> license headers and fails if they are not correct. The documentation
>> seems to suggest that this not possible at the moment. Are there plans
>> to implement something like that?
>
> See rat:check.

Thanks, that does the trick! I got mislead by the Usage page that
suggests that rat:check just writes the report file.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: RAT in a Maven build

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

--
I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my
how to use my telephone.

    -- (Bjarne Stroustrup,
http://www.research.att.com/~bs/bs_faq.html#really-say-that
       My guess: Nokia E50)

Re: RAT in a Maven build

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Thu, 2009-01-15 at 22:12 +0100, Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 3:03 PM, Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> wrote:
> > I think it is fair to say there are no plans for anything. This
> > project is "existing" rather than "developing".

yep

i've been occasionally working on the scan stuff which produces eg
http://incubator.apache.org/audit/ but it works ok(ish) ATM

> I'm actually interested in spending some cycles here, as I'd like to
> better automate license review processes at the projects I'm involved
> in. I'll probably end up with some patches to share.

great :-)

if there are some more people interested then i'm much more likely to
get start on some newer stuff...

> > However, it *is* possible to set up a CI build to check for licence
> > headers. I use Hudson on my project and it works fine.
> >
> > Set Maven up to fail and hudson will report a fail. You don't get a
> > nice report of why it failed (have to go into the logs folder to find
> > our, or run it locally).
>
> OK, thanks. I'm pretty familiar with both Maven and Hudson, so I
> should be able to set things up the way I want as soon as I've looked
> a bit deeper into the rat-maven-plugin and tweaked it a bit (see the
> patches I already uploaded to Jira for a start).

cool

- robert

Re: RAT in a Maven build

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
2009/1/15 Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 3:03 PM, Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> wrote:
>> I think it is fair to say there are no plans for anything. This
>> project is "existing" rather than "developing".
>
> I'm actually interested in spending some cycles here, as I'd like to
> better automate license review processes at the projects I'm involved
> in. I'll probably end up with some patches to share.

Excellent. RAT is an excellent project, but it needs momentum.

Welcome!

Ross

Re: RAT in a Maven build

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: RAT in a Maven build

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
2009/1/15 Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 2:44 PM, Jochen Wiedmann
> <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 2:42 PM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> The latest I can find is
>>> org.codehaus.mojo:rat-maven-plugin:1.0-alpha-3 from 2007. Is there a
>>> more recent release available?
>>
>> No.
>
> Any plans for a release?
>
>>> How do I configure the plugin?
>>
>> http://mojo.codehaus.org/rat-maven-plugin/
>
> Thanks!
>
> I was thinking of setting a CI build that automatically checks the
> license headers and fails if they are not correct. The documentation
> seems to suggest that this not possible at the moment. Are there plans
> to implement something like that?

I think it is fair to say there are no plans for anything. This
project is "existing" rather than "developing".

However, it *is* possible to set up a CI build to check for licence
headers. I use Hudson on my project and it works fine.

Set Maven up to fail and hudson will report a fail. You don't get a
nice report of why it failed (have to go into the logs folder to find
our, or run it locally).

I'm afraid I can't remember exactly how I configured this, but the
pom.xml is at http://code.google.com/p/simal/source/browse/trunk/uk.ac.osswatch.simal.core/pom.xml

If you use hudson and can't figure it out, let me know I'll give you a
login to our server so you can poke around on the understanding that
you'll give us bullet point notes on how to do it.

Ross

Re: RAT in a Maven build

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: RAT in a Maven build

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: RAT in a Maven build

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: RAT in a Maven build

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 2:11 PM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd like to include a RAT run in a Maven build process. What's the
> best way to do that?

Use the rat-maven-plugin.

Jochen