Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca> on 2002/11/08 22:41:35 UTC

[Win32] ActivePerl-5.8 beta released

Of relevance to mod_perl-2 Win32 users, ActivePerl just released
a beta version of their perl-5.8 binary; see
   http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/
Because of binary incompatibilities with 5.6, there's a
separate 5.8 repository of ppm packages under
   http://www.activestate.com/ppmpackages/5.8-windows/
Such packages should be compatible with the perl-5.8 win32
binary we have under
  ftp://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/pub/other/perl-5.8-win32-bin.tar.gz
if you've been using that.

Even though the ActivePerl package is beta, they've tested
it out beforehand and fixed some things compared to the
CPAN perl-5.8 sources; see
  ftp://ftp.activestate.com/ActivePerl/src/5.8/
for the diffs and for the complete sources used.

If you're using mod_perl-2 on Win32 with perl-5.6.1 and have run
into problems (such as hanging registry scripts), you may want to
try perl-5.8. Over the next few days I'll make up a 5.8 Win32 ppm
repository with mod_perl-2 and some other common packages; I'll
post something later with the details. Unless there's a large
demand for mod_perl-1 stuff, this repository will just include
mod_perl-2 packages.

--
best regards,
randy kobes

Re: [Win32] ActivePerl-5.8 beta released

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Sat, 9 Nov 2002, Chris wrote:

> >> Because of binary incompatibilities with 5.6, there's a
> >>separate 5.8 repository of ppm packages under
> >>    http://www.activestate.com/ppmpackages/5.8-windows/
> >> Such packages should be compatible with the perl-5.8 win32
> >> binary we have under
> >>   ftp://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/pub/other/perl-5.8-win32-bin.tar.gz
> >> if you've been using that.
>
> If you believe this to be true, then am I right in assuming that
> Activestate didn't manage to build the 5.8 beta with VC++ 7?
>
> I'd heard rumors that there was an attempt to build a version of Perl using
> VC++ 7 because Microsoft has a free non-optimizing VC++ compiler they ship
> with the .NET SDK. I was very excited by this prospect. ::sigh::

That would be nice ... I couldn't tell from ActiveState's site
nor from the binary which version of VC++ was used, but the
default Win32 Makefile that comes with the ActivePerl sources
says that the supported compilers are VC++ 2 through 6, and
possibly newer versions, and CCTYPE is defined to be MSVC60,
which is appropriate to VC++ 6. So I suspect they used VC++ 6.

ActivePerl's 5.8 'perl -V' reports that MULTIPLICITY,
USE_ITHREADS, USE_LARGE_FILES, PERL_IMPLICIT_CONTEXT, and
PERL_IMPLICIT_SYS was defined at compile time - except for the
USE_LARGE_FILES, these are the same as the 5.8 binary on our
site. So there may be an incompatibility with there with large
files ... For a random test, I took the DBI module from our
binary and copied it over into the ActivePerl distribution (which
doesn't come with DBI), and the tests from the DBI distribution
passed. So there's a binary compatibility present at some level.
When I make up a 5.8 repository, though, I'll use the same
flags as ActiveState.

The 5.8 ppm packages at
http://www.activestate.com/ppmpackages/5.8-windows/ seem to be
all pure perl packages, and such packages certainly are
compatible. However, in their ppd file they define ARCHITECTURE
to be "MSWin32-x86-multi-thread-5.8", whereas our binary doesn't
have the "-5.8" suffix. Consequently, if you use the ppm utility
of our binary and try to install an ActiveState ppm package, or
the other way around, a mismatch in architecture name is
reported. You can get around that by grabbing the .ppd and
.tar.gz files and editing the .ppd file to adjust ARCHITECTURE,
and also then adjusting the path to the .tar.gz file.

--
best regards,
randy

Re: [Win32] ActivePerl-5.8 beta released

Posted by Chris <ch...@prather.org>.

> I asked Jan Dubois at ActiveState about this, just to verify -
> the relevant excerpt of his reply follows ...

Luckily I'm on both lists (or at least I got a copy of Jan Dubois reply as
well). Thank you for this.

>>Perhaps related to this, was this build compiled with VC++ 6?
>
> Yes.  For various reasons, we decided to continue to build
> ActivePerl with VC++ 6 SP3.  I'm pretty sure that later service
> packs should be compatible too as the core Perl code doesn't use
> C++ anymore (the PERL_OBJECT stuff contained pointers to member
> functions, which changed size in VC++ 6 SP4 and later).
>
> I've also (just for testing) compiled extension DLLs for
> ActivePerl 633 and 802 using the free, non-optimizing VC++ 7
> compiler from the .NET Framework SDK.  It worked just fine, but
> it will use MSVCR70 instead of MSVCRT for the runtime library,
> resulting in 2 different C runtime libraries being loaded.  This
> is potentially a problem with structured exception handling for
> C++, but should work fine for "normal" C extension code too.
>

>From this and other comments, I gather having two runtime libraries is a
Not-So-Good-Thing (tm) I will probably breakdown and add VC++ 6 to my
collection of toys. I'm far from an adaquate C programmer.

Thank you for all your work supporting us red-headed step children in the
Windows world.

-Chris

Re: [Win32] ActivePerl-5.8 beta released

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Sat, 9 Nov 2002, Chris wrote:

> I'd heard rumors that there was an attempt to build a version
> of Perl using VC++ 7 because Microsoft has a free
> non-optimizing VC++ compiler they ship with the .NET SDK. I was
> very excited by this prospect. ::sigh::

I asked Jan Dubois at ActiveState about this, just to verify -
the relevant excerpt of his reply follows ...

On Sat, 9 Nov 2002 22:31:53 -0600 (CST), Randy Kobes
<ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca> wrote:

Hi Randy,

>I was wondering about the 5.8 repository at
>http://www.activestate.com/ppmpackages/5.8-windows/ - it doesn't
>seem to include packages that need a C compiler, like DBI. Is it
>just too early for these, or is there a reason for this?

Yes, the current repository is just the result of the first
automated run for ActivePerl 8xx.  We already noticed that even
some of the modules that always used to pass are still missing.
I think the release notes of build 802 say somewhere that you
shouldn't expect a full repository until ActivePerl 8xx comes out
of *beta*.  You just need a little patience. :)

>Perhaps related to this, was this build compiled with VC++ 6?

Yes.  For various reasons, we decided to continue to build
ActivePerl with VC++ 6 SP3.  I'm pretty sure that later service
packs should be compatible too as the core Perl code doesn't use
C++ anymore (the PERL_OBJECT stuff contained pointers to member
functions, which changed size in VC++ 6 SP4 and later).

I've also (just for testing) compiled extension DLLs for
ActivePerl 633 and 802 using the free, non-optimizing VC++ 7
compiler from the .NET Framework SDK.  It worked just fine, but
it will use MSVCR70 instead of MSVCRT for the runtime library,
resulting in 2 different C runtime libraries being loaded.  This
is potentially a problem with structured exception handling for
C++, but should work fine for "normal" C extension code too.

Cheers,
-Jan

best regards,
randy

Re: [Win32] ActivePerl-5.8 beta released

Posted by Chris <ch...@prather.org>.
First,

I hate my mailer. I apologize for the previous totally reduntant post.

Posted by Chris <ch...@prather.org>.
> Of relevance to mod_perl-2 Win32 users, ActivePerl just released
> a beta version of their perl-5.8 binary; see
>    http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/
> Because of binary incompatibilities with 5.6, there's a
>separate 5.8 repository of ppm packages under
>    http://www.activestate.com/ppmpackages/5.8-windows/
> Such packages should be compatible with the perl-5.8 win32
> binary we have under
>   ftp://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/pub/other/perl-5.8-win32-bin.tar.gz
> if you've been using that.
>
> Even though the ActivePerl package is beta, they've tested
> it out beforehand and fixed some things compared to the
> CPAN perl-5.8 sources; see
>   ftp://ftp.activestate.com/ActivePerl/src/5.8/
> for the diffs and for the complete sources used.
>
> If you're using mod_perl-2 on Win32 with perl-5.6.1 and have run
> into problems (such as hanging registry scripts), you may want to
> try perl-5.8. Over the next few days I'll make up a 5.8 Win32 ppm
> repository with mod_perl-2 and some other common packages; I'll
> post something later with the details. Unless there's a large
> demand for mod_perl-1 stuff, this repository will just include
> mod_perl-2 packages.
>
> --
> best regards,
> randy kobes

-Chris

Re: [Win32] ActivePerl-5.8 beta released

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Sat, 9 Nov 2002, Juergen Heckel wrote:

> Randy Kobes wrote:
> > Of relevance to mod_perl-2 Win32 users, ActivePerl just released
> > a beta version of their perl-5.8 binary; see
> >    http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/
>
> Hi,
> I tried this version (msi-package) with mod_perl-2.0 (latest snapshot)
> but I cannot compile it:
>
> W:\programme\Perl\lib\CORE\XSUB.h(399) : warning C4005: 'exit' : macro
> redefinition
>          f:/apache2/include\os.h(97) : see previous definition of 'exit'
> modperl_interp.c(43) : error C2065: 'my_perl' : undeclared identifier

This should now be fixed in the mod_perl-2 cvs sources.

Posted by Juergen Heckel <JH...@t-online.de>.
Randy Kobes wrote:
> Of relevance to mod_perl-2 Win32 users, ActivePerl just released
> a beta version of their perl-5.8 binary; see
>    http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/

Hi,
I tried this version (msi-package) with mod_perl-2.0 (latest snapshot)
but I cannot compile it:

W:\programme\Perl\lib\CORE\XSUB.h(399) : warning C4005: 'exit' : macro
redefinition
         f:/apache2/include\os.h(97) : see previous definition of 'exit'
modperl_interp.c(43) : error C2065: 'my_perl' : undeclared identifier
                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
modperl_interp.c(43) : warning C4047: 'function' : 'struct interpreter
*' diffes in levels of indirection from 'int '
modperl_interp.c(43) : warning C4024: 'Perl_IMem_ptr' : different types
for foral and actual parameter 1
modperl_interp.c(43) : warning C4047: 'function' : 'struct interpreter
*' diffes in levels of indirection from 'int '
modperl_interp.c(43) : warning C4024: 'Perl_IMem_ptr' : different types
for foral and actual parameter 1
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'cl' : return code '0x2'
Stop.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'cd' : return code '0x2'

Again I don't know where to search (with ActivePerl 5.6.1 no more problems).

Juergen

Re: [Win32] ActivePerl-5.8 beta released

Posted by Juergen Heckel <JH...@t-online.de>.
Randy Kobes wrote:
> Of relevance to mod_perl-2 Win32 users, ActivePerl just released
> a beta version of their perl-5.8 binary; see
>    http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/

Hi,
thank you again. I was looking there the last days without finding the
new version.

Juergen

RE: [Win32] ActivePerl-5.8 beta released

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Fri, 8 Nov 2002, Beau E. Cox wrote:

> Hi -
>
> Just wondering about DBI modules in 5.8.
>
> In both Randy's posted ppm packages list and via
> 5.8's ppm, I can't find:
>
> DBI (plain 'ole)
> DBD-ODBC
> DBD-Mysql
>
> I know this is beta, but are DBI modulrs such as
> these forthcoming?
>
> Aloha => Beau.

In ActiveState's announcement about the beta release they say
that they expect to support a complete 5.8 ppm repository when an
official release is made. There's no estimate given of when that
might be. The modules you mention above though I have compliled
and tested some with perl-5.8, and I'll add them to our
repository if they're not in ActiveState's.

--
best regards,
randy

RE: [Win32] ActivePerl-5.8 beta released