Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> on 2009/05/18 23:21:17 UTC

Need your input on a repository "hack"

Hi

There is currently a proposal over at Commons to create a specially
crafted empty artifact of Commons Logging. I'd appreciate your input on
how this would affect the "normal" users of commons-logging. In
particular how the proposal would affect the meta data in the central
repository, both when it comes to ordinary versions and also if someone
uses LATEST or similar special versions.

I will gather up any input you have and take it back to the commons-dev
list, unless you feel like contributing to that list yourselves.

[1] Original proposal
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/commons-dev/200905.mbox/%3C4A0BE2FD.9090705@qos.ch%3E
http://markmail.org/message/viyxdnrhkxjvcaag?q=list:org.apache.commons.dev/&page=16#query:list%3Aorg.apache.commons.dev%2F+page:16+mid:a726tbvk46ef6acl+state:results

[2] Second thread with revised proposal
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/commons-dev/200905.mbox/%3C4A116391.1030005@qos.ch%3E
http://markmail.org/message/k24k26s4uivjytnj?q=list:org.apache.commons.dev/#query:list%3Aorg.apache.commons.dev%2F+page:1+mid:fuzg6ugpi3fy6slp+state:results

Thanks

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: Need your input on a repository "hack"

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.
The most important thing is that it has the lowest version possible, which
seems to be the case in the second proposal. When it gets deployed, the
metadata would be updated, but Nexus could correct this back to the right
version pretty easily. (you'd have to do it by hand w/o nexus).
Otherwise if it's an appropriately packaged jar according to ASF policy, it
seems to be entirely inside the scope of commons to produce it.

I have mixed feelings about the slippery-slope this provides, but also
understand the issue, so I'll rest on the scope being owned by commons to
make the moral decision ;-)