Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Stanislav Jordanov <st...@sirma.bg> on 2006/08/16 14:26:59 UTC

Split an existing index into smaller segments without a re-index?

I searched the mail list archives for an answer to that question;
The closest (and perhaps the only) thread in this regard that I found is:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/lucene/java-user/9928

So the answer was "No", but this is way back in the mid 2004 (2 years ago).
Is there a solution to that problem now?

Stanislav

Re: Split an existing index into smaller segments without a re-index?

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.
On 8/16/06, Stanislav Jordanov <st...@sirma.bg> wrote:
> I searched the mail list archives for an answer to that question;
> The closest (and perhaps the only) thread in this regard that I found is:
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/lucene/java-user/9928
>

> So the answer was "No", but this is way back in the mid 2004 (2 years ago).
> Is there a solution to that problem now?

Nope.
If you have the source material, it would be easiest to re-index into
separate indicies.

-Yonik

Re: Split an existing index into smaller segments without a re-index?

Posted by Karel Tejnora <ka...@tejnora.cz>.
Depends.

0) optimize big index

1) on big index delete all documents except those for a part of index
2) use AddIndexes on IndexWriter on destination dir (empty)
3) delete segments.del in big index directory (the segments.del is a
just serialized BitVector)
4) repeat for another set

do not make optimize or any other action if segments.del lives-  that
will delete your documents