Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Martin Arendt <ma...@gmx.net> on 2004/10/29 01:34:30 UTC

components and properties

hi folks

i'm a complete tapestry newbie. could anyone PLEASE tell me, what the
differnence between a component and a property is?

i was not able to find a satisfying answer in the tapestry documentation.
it's always the same problem with dokumentation written by techies and not
by proffesional writers: REALLY relevant info is hold back, instead you are
flooded with technical details that overstrains you at this early
"lets-see-how-this-is-all-about" stage.

Re: components and properties

Posted by Robert Zeigler <rd...@u.arizona.edu>.
I'm going to assume that you mean a property defined by the
<property-specification> tag...
it's just a java property, nothing more, nothing less.
It's adding a getter/setter to your page object at runtime. That's it.

Component:

a component is something that does something to your page. ;) That's a
vague definition, sorry, but, in most cases, a component is something
that will result in one of the following things:

stuff (html, text, etc.) that is output to your page
control whether or not stuff is output (conditional)
how many times to output stuff (loops)

So, whereas a property might be used to store information like...
what a user input into a text field, a component is used to /render/ the
stored information, as well as the text field, and any other related
markup. HTH.

Robert