Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it> on 2007/01/03 19:58:12 UTC

CSS Layout and Other Cleanups in the Manager Applications

Following the great advices in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-241 I've started to play
with the styles in maincss.css file and apply the mods to the
manufacturing application.

I've noticed some minor side effects (for example the texts in the main
webtools page are smaller now) and I wanted to be sure that the work I'm
doing is correct and, most of all, if it is a good moment to do this
work now (i.e. before a release).
So please, have a look at the revisions 492187, 492201, 492242
(especially at the changes I did to the maincss.css file) and let me
know what you think.

Jacopo

Re: CSS Layout and Other Cleanups in the Manager Applications

Posted by Raj Saini <ra...@gmail.com>.
One way to go about it is create a one stylesheet for each application
and let this stylesheet import other required stylesheets. This way only
one stylesheet will be linked into the web page.

Thanks,

Raj

Andrew Zeneski wrote:
> I'm not too sure about combining all styles into one css file.
> Cleaning them up surely would be a good thing, but tabstyles.css was
> designed to handle the tab sections of screens. Only needed to be
> included in screens which use the top level tabs.
>
> Keeping this separate IMO would make changing the look of the tab bar
> easier to find.
>
> Also, once we start to introduce more DHTML CSS styles, not all pages
> will require these. I would expect new css files for these as well.
>
> I'm just afraid that combining all styles into one file will make it
> more complicated to find and customize. Then again, David's comment on
> keeping them separated nicely with comments may accomplish the same
> thing as having properly named separated css files.
>
> Just my two cents.
>
> Andrew
>
> On Jan 3, 2007, at 7:22 PM, Adrian Crum wrote:
>
>> I'd like to help with that effort. From my perspective, I see it
>> happening kinda like this:
>>
>> 1. Combine maincss.css and tabstyles.css files into one file.
>> 2. Test css classes on a single component (what Jacopo is doing now),
>> tweak css class settings.
>> 3. Once css class settings are finalized, go through all widgets and
>> ftl files to eliminate embedded styles.
>>
>> I'm not a css wizard, so I can't be of much help with #1 and #2. I
>> can help with #3 though.
>>

>> Tim Ruppert wrote:
>>
>>> I have a good start on cleaning up the backend to look just like
>>> the  existing site as an intermediate solution.  I'll do my best to
>>> clean  it up a bit and get that out, but I'm swamped at the moment.
>>> I had also identified a LARGE number of places where styles were
>>> embedded in the code.  This is definitely something I'd love to
>>> help  out with.
>>> Cheers,
>>> Tim
>>> --Tim Ruppert
>>> HotWax Media
>>> http://www.hotwaxmedia.com
>>> o:801.649.6594

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
+1
--
Tim Ruppert
HotWax Media

o:801.649.6594
f:801.649.6595

Posted by Vikash Anand <pr...@gmail.com>.
that is a nice approach, +1

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
I agree, +1

Jacques

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
Andrew Zeneski wrote:
> I'm not too sure about combining all styles into one css file.  Cleaning
> them up surely would be a good thing, but tabstyles.css was  designed to
> handle the tab sections of screens. Only needed to be  included in
> screens which use the top level tabs.

That's not true. The way OFBiz is set up now, tabstyles.css is used with EVERY
screen. That's why I combined them. If we're referencing both files with every
request, then why have two files at all?

If a component has a unique style sheet, then there are ways to get that added
to the list - via layoutSettings.stylesheets[].

> I'm just afraid that combining all styles into one file will make it
> more complicated to find and customize. Then again, David's comment  on
> keeping them separated nicely with comments may accomplish the  same
> thing as having properly named separated css files.

How can searching for a specific style be easier with multiple files? With a
single main stylesheet, if you want to change a style you would have to look in
only one place.

Re: CSS Layout and Other Cleanups in the Manager Applications

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
Andrew Sykes wrote:
> But I think the tabstyles stuff needs to be clearly marked and separated
> within the merged file. So if anyone wants to implement a new set there
> is a clearly marked set of classes.

If you take a look at the patch in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-605 you'll see that that has been done.

Re: CSS Layout and Other Cleanups in the Manager Applications

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
Thanks for the calrification Andrew!

Yeah, people putting +1 on Andy's reply makes the meaning of the vote unclear.
Is the +1 intended for the original email or Andy's reply?

Posted by Andrew Sykes <an...@sykesdevelopment.com>.
Adrian,

Sorry, I was aware you had done it this way, it wasn't a suggestion so
much as a +1 for the way you had done it.

Of course, now I read it back it's hard to see that this is what I
meant ;-)

- Andrew

On Thu, 2007-01-11 at 12:44 -0800, Adrian Crum wrote:
> Andrew Sykes wrote:
> > But I think the tabstyles stuff needs to be clearly marked and separated
> > within the merged file. So if anyone wants to implement a new set there
> > is a clearly marked set of classes.
>
> If you take a look at the patch in
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-605 you'll see that that has been done.

--
Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <an...@sykesdevelopment.com>

Re: CSS Layout and Other Cleanups in the Manager Applications

Posted by Andrew Sykes <an...@sykesdevelopment.com>.
I agree with Andy here.

Posted by Andrew Zeneski <ja...@ofbiz.org>.

#3 though.

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
Thanks David.

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
Jacopo,

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.
This is a vague recollection of things read/done on
css. Instead of setting the font size in pixels, you
"should" use em units.  The most common approach is
the following:

BODY {
font-size: 62.5%;
}

This makes 16px = 10px and so now:
0.8 em = 8 px
1 em = 10px
1.2 em = 12 px
1.4 em = 14 px

and so forth.  em instead of pixels is used because
IE/Win doesn't allow the user to resize text that is
set in px.  This may or may not have been
fixed/changed in IE7, but it's a much easier
convention to apply consistently than is pixels.