Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Jon Lederman <jo...@mac.com> on 2011/01/04 21:00:57 UTC

Rngd

Hi,

I am trying to locate the source for rngd to build on my embedded processor in order to test whether my hadoop setup is stalled due to low entropy?  Do u know where I can find this.  I thought it was part of rng-tools but it's not.

Thanks

Jon

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Rngd

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.
As it normally stands, rngd will only help (it appears) if you have a
hardware RNG.

You need to cheat and use entropy you don't really have.  If you don't mind
hacking your system, you could even do this:

    # mv /dev/random /dev/random.orig
    # ln /dev/urandom /dev/random

This makes /dev/random behave as if it were /dev/urandom (which it, strictly
speaking, is after you do this).

Don't let your sysadmin see you do this, of course.

RE:Rngd

Posted by "Black, Michael (IS)" <Mi...@ngc.com>.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gkernel/files/rng-tools

rndg is in there.