Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com> on 2011/07/25 20:18:31 UTC

OSCache is gone

Hey all,

OpenSymphony has closed. Not sure if OSCache has survived.
This page recommends OSCache:
http://cayenne.apache.org/doc/query-result-caching.html

It looks like this project is the follow up:
java.net/projects/oscache

But it seems also to be rather dead (last commit > 4 yrs)

Is it time to remove the OSCache section from the docs? If this
projects still exists and I didn't find the url, then we shoul update
the docs with the new location.

Are there any other options in caching or is Cayenne "limited" to
"Simple Cache"?

Cheers
Christian

Re: OSCache is gone

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Dinner? It is only 9am in Hawaii. I haven't even had breakfast yet.

Ralph

Re: OSCache is gone

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
uh yes :-)

http://www.grobmeier.de

Re: OSCache is gone

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.
Wrong list?  ;)

Re: OSCache is gone

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
Yeah, sort of saw this coming... I am using OSCache actively on a number of projects.

OSCache provides one possible implementation of advanced caching facilities for Cayenne. We can easily roll out a new one (even prior to 3.1 and DI this piece was pluggable), EHCache or something like that. And of course OSCache won't suddenly stop working. After all it is available in source and binary forms in public Maven repos:

http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/opensymphony/oscache/
and also http://java.net/downloads/oscache/

We can put it on Gihub ourselves and keep maintaining it there for Cayenne needs for as long as it takes.

Anyways, thanks for the update. The worst impact it will have on us now is from a user perception angle. So we should probably start writing an EHCache provider...

Andrus

OSCache is gone