Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Scott Langley <la...@nwlink.com> on 2001/03/19 23:15:23 UTC

Make Jakarta home page more like Apache XML's

What do I mean?

While the Jakarta home page succeeds in providing convenient links for
existing users, the XML Apache home page does a much better job, IMHO, of
describing  itself  and answering the questions: "What?" and "Why should I
care?"

In particular, the biggest gripe I have with the Jakarta layout is that you
have to dig around a lot to found out what the different sub projects are
about. I copied and pasted into one document the descriptions these projects
give of themselves so that I could refer to it for future reference. And -
FLAME SHIELDS UP! - I edited the descriptions for brevity and my own
comprehension.

So why can't the Jakarta home page offer sub project descriptions like
these?

Ant
http://jakarta.apache.org/ant
Ant is a Java based build tool, kind of like make without make's wrinkles.
Buildfiles are written in XML and contain one project, which contain one or
more targets (sets of tasks to be executed).  Edit the buildfiles to
make use of existing tasks or add your own customs tasks by writing simple
Java classes that extend the Ant framework. A GUI tool for configuring and
executing tasks is under development.

Avalon
http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/
An effort to create, design, develop and maintain a
common framework for server applications written using the Java language.
Transmorphed into a less restrictive set of recommended practices,
libraries,
and design ideas.

ECS
http://jakarta.apache.org/ecs/
The Element Construction Set is a Java API for generating elements for
various
markup languages it directly supports HTML 4.0 and XML, but can easily be
extended to create tags for any markup language. Allows you to use Java
Objects to generate markup code.

James
http://jakarta.apache.org/james
The Java Apache Mail Enterprise Server is a 100% pure Java server, designed
to be a complete and portable enterprise mail engine solution based on
currently available open protocols (SMTP, POP3, IMAP, HTTP).

Jakarta-ORO
http://jakarta.apache.org/oro/
The Jakarta-ORO Java classes are a set of text-processing Java classes that
provide Perl5 compatible regular expressions, AWK-like regular expressions,
glob expressions, and utility classes for performing substitutions, splits,
filtering filenames, etc. This library is the successor to the OROMatcher,
AwkTools, PerlTools, and TextTools libraries from ORO, Inc.
(www.oroinc.com).

Jetspeed
http://jakarta.apache.org/jetspeed/
Jetspeed is an Open Source implementation of an Enterprise Information
Portal,
using Java and XML.

JMeter
http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/
Apache JMeter is a 100% pure Java desktop application designed to load test
functional behavior and measure performance. It was originally designed for
testing Web Applications but has since expanded to other test functions.

Log4J
http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/doc/
Java logging package. Without modifying the application binary, control
logging behavior by editing a configuration file using category inheritance
hierarchies to easily control which log statements are output at arbitrarily
fine granularity.

Regexp
http://jakarta.apache.org/regexp/
Regexp is a 100% Pure Java Regular Expression package that was graciously
donated to the Apache Software Foundation by Jonathan Locke.

Slide
http://jakarta.apache.org/slide/
A project composed of multiple modules tied together using WebDAV
including:
 Content management system with a Java API
 Servlet implementing the WebDAV protocol on
   top of the content management system
 Java WebDAV and HTTP client library (and a command line WebDAV client)

Struts
http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/
Framework for building web applications with Java Servlet and JavaServer
Pages
(JSP) with application architectures based on Model-View-Controller (MVC),
colloquially known as Model 2.

Taglibs
http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/
Tag libraries are composed of a set of custom tags used in JSP pages to
separate presentation from implementation. Some of the ways they can be used
include dynamically generating page content and implementing flow of
control.
They can interact with each other including being nested.

Tomcat
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/
Tomcat is the Reference Implementation for the JavaServlet 2.2 and
JavaServer
Pages 1.1 Technologies.

Turbine
http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine
A servlet-based web application framework for building secure web
applications
by connecting up different service-providing modules.

Velocity
http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity
A Java-based template engine, for generating text output (e.g.,
web pages), with the Java code kept separate from the conent following the
Model-View-Controller (MVC) model.

Watchdog
http://jakarta.apache.org/watchdog/
Validation tests for the Servlet and JavaServer Pages specifications.

Scott Langley
sl@scottlangley.com
http://www.scottlangley.com

Re: Jakarta PMC Meeting Notes

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
Hey,

Just as a clarification. My -1 for commons was not really due to duplicity
(I actually think duplicity is good). I wanted to avoid saying this ... but
I think it is going to fail ;) It has already made many of the same
mistakes that Avalon made except for one (but as soon as you hear people on
the list talking about "standardising" you know they have committed that
mistake aswell). It is only in this context (ie an unproven risky project
taking over charter of another for pure religious/political reasons) that I
objected to duplicity.

Hierarchial control is a no go for a project aimed at sharing - distributed
control is what makes cjan style projects work. I have serious issues with
the amount of red tape that has been proposed.

What I would have liked to see was to see the project work with others
while bootstrapping. ie CJAN would take jakarta-ant-cjan or
jakarta-alexandria-cjan with aim of becoming jakarta-cjan when/if it
matures. The commons CVS (ie controlled components) as part of an existing
project. etc This would have saved us from a vapourware project tarnishing
Apaches name if it failed to produce.

Oh well at least this decision can be used as precedent for future
decisions, no ?
Cheers,

Pete

Re: Make Jakarta home page more like Apache XML's

Posted by James Duncan Davidson <du...@x180.net>.
On Monday, March 19, 2001, at 02:15 PM, Scott Langley wrote:

> While the Jakarta home page succeeds in providing convenient links for
> existing users, the XML Apache home page does a much better job, IMHO,
> of
> describing  itself  and answering the questions: "What?" and "Why
> should I
> care?"

Keep in mind with whatever you do there that the XML pages manage to
burn up some  majority percentage of the bandwidth that all of
apache.org uses because of all those little images. Since people do pay
for this, please don't repeat that mistake.

.duncan

Re: Make Jakarta home page more like Apache XML's

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 3/19/01 2:15 PM, "Scott Langley" <la...@nwlink.com> wrote:

> So why can't the Jakarta home page offer sub project descriptions like
> these?

Because you didn't bother to contribute them before. How many times do I
need to repeat that this is a volunteer organization before someone will
"get it"?

RTFM...

    <http://jakarta.apache.org/site/jakarta-site2.html>

-jon

Jakarta PMC Meeting Notes

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
<http://jakarta.apache.org/site/pmc/>

The full IRC log is available for those of you who missed it.

-jon