Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Unico Hommes <un...@hippo.nl> on 2004/08/12 15:42:37 UTC

Subversion really slow

My experience with subversion since we switched is that the cocoon
repository is painfully slow at least using subclipse. I haven't much
previous experience with subversion but I was under the impression that
it should be more performant then CVS? So, I am wondering whether this
is a problem with subclipse, the apache svn repository or subversion
itself. I also noticed that cvs web subversion browsing is equally slow.

Even worse, on my computer at home I haven't been able to checkout
Cocoon at all because it keeps craching my computer. Both using the
command line client and subclipse. Anybody have similar experience
and/or advice?

--
Unico

Re: Subversion really slow

Posted by Ugo Cei <ug...@apache.org>.
Il giorno 12/ago/04, alle 17:33, Vadim Gritsenko ha scritto:

> IMHO, Most of the time is disk IO.

Might be. I haven't got a HD LED on my laptop. I've just run it on my
desktop Linux box and the disk is spinning like mad indeed. Times are a
little lower, even though the box is not a speed demon.

--
Ugo Cei - http://beblogging.com/

Re: Subversion really slow

Posted by Unico Hommes <un...@hippo.nl>.
Unico Hommes wrote:

> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>
>> Ugo Cei wrote:
>>
>>> On OS X Panther:
>>>
>>> $ time svn update
>>> At revision 36287.
>>>
>>> real    1m6.448s
>>> user    0m2.010s
>>> sys     0m4.010s
>>

>> On Windows XP, HDD 7200 RPM, last access timestamp disabled:
>>
>> cocoon-2.2.X $ time svn up
>> At revision 36287.
>>
>> real    0m29.125s
>> user    0m1.632s
>> sys     0m2.663s
>>

> OK, switching off my virus scanner did a lot:
>
> $ time svn up
> At revision 36287.
>
> real    0m21.170s
> user    0m0.015s
> sys     0m0.016s
>
> Thank!

I'm afraid my conclusion was too quick these are two runs one with virus
scanner enabled, the other disabled.

$ time svn up
At revision 36290.

real    0m22.492s
user    0m0.015s
sys     0m0.000s

$ time svn up
At revision 36290.

real    0m22.202s
user    0m0.015s
sys     0m0.015s

So I guess it must be a problem with subclipse plugin. Like Adam I get
the plugin from loonsoft via eclipse update but unlike Adam it doesn't
seem to work very well on my machine. I guess I will have to abandon my
wysiwyg ways for now :-(

--
Unico

Re: Subversion really slow

Posted by Unico Hommes <un...@hippo.nl>.

Re: Subversion really slow

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.
Ugo Cei wrote:

> On OS X Panther:
>
> $ time svn update
> At revision 36287.
>
> real    1m6.448s
> user    0m2.010s
> sys     0m4.010s

On Windows XP, HDD 7200 RPM, last access timestamp disabled:

cocoon-2.2.X $ time svn up
At revision 36287.

real    0m29.125s
user    0m1.632s
sys     0m2.663s

> Most of the time seems to be spent in the server or the network, since
> the client appears to be practically idle.

IMHO, Most of the time is disk IO.

> Time to switch OS maybe? ;-) CVS times seem to be comparable

Not yet - my time is twice shorter than your time :-)

> $ time cvs -d :ext:ugo@cvs.apache.org:/home/cvs -q -z3 update -dP
> real    1m0.474s
> user    0m2.390s
> sys     0m7.310s

cocoon-2.1-20040517 $ time cvs -q -z3 update -Pd
? src/java/org/apache/cocoon/matching/I18nMatcher.java
src/blocks/portal/java/org/apache/cocoon/environment/portlet/PortletEnvironment.java
src/blocks/portal/java/org/apache/cocoon/environment/portlet/PortletRequest.java
src/blocks/portal/java/org/apache/cocoon/environment/portlet/PortletSession.java
M src/blocks/portal/java/org/apache/cocoon/portlet/CocoonPortlet.java
M src/java/org/apache/cocoon/components/flow/ContinuationsManagerImpl.java
src/java/org/apache/cocoon/components/flow/javascript/fom/FOM_WebContinuation.java

real    0m35.033s
user    0m5.147s
sys     0m8.602s

Vadim

Re: Subversion really slow

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
Ugo Cei dijo:
> Il giorno 12/ago/04, alle 15:42, Unico Hommes ha scritto:
>
>> My experience with subversion since we switched is that the cocoon
>> repository is painfully slow at least using subclipse. I haven't much
>> previous experience with subversion but I was under the impression
>> that it should be more performant then CVS? So, I am wondering whether
>> this is a problem with subclipse, the apache svn repository or
>> subversion itself. I also noticed that cvs web subversion browsing is
>> equally slow.
>>
>> Even worse, on my computer at home I haven't been able to checkout
>> Cocoon at all because it keeps craching my computer. Both using the
>> command line client and subclipse. Anybody have similar experience
>> and/or advice?
>>
>> --
>> Unico
>>

> On OS X Panther:
>
> $ time svn update
> At revision 36287.
>
> real    1m6.448s
> user    0m2.010s
> sys     0m4.010s

Here are the results of the lastest update I did (Fedora Core 2):

$ time svn up
U  status.xml
src/java/org/apache/cocoon/components/flow/javascript/fom/FOM_WebContinuation.java
U  src/java/org/apache/cocoon/components/flow/ContinuationsManagerImpl.java
U  src/java/org/apache/cocoon/transformation/CIncludeTransformer.java
U  src/java/org/apache/cocoon/util/log/Log4JConfigurator.java
Updated to revision 36308.

real    0m20.730s
user    0m0.995s
sys     0m0.475s

Before CVS was a lot lower.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Re: Subversion really slow

Posted by Ugo Cei <ug...@apache.org>.
Il giorno 12/ago/04, alle 15:42, Unico Hommes ha scritto:

> My experience with subversion since we switched is that the cocoon
> repository is painfully slow at least using subclipse. I haven't much
> previous experience with subversion but I was under the impression
> that it should be more performant then CVS? So, I am wondering whether
> this is a problem with subclipse, the apache svn repository or
> subversion itself. I also noticed that cvs web subversion browsing is
> equally slow.
>
> Even worse, on my computer at home I haven't been able to checkout
> Cocoon at all because it keeps craching my computer. Both using the
> command line client and subclipse. Anybody have similar experience
> and/or advice?
>
> --
> Unico

On OS X Panther:

$ time svn update
At revision 36287.

real    1m6.448s
user    0m2.010s
sys     0m4.010s

Most of the time seems to be spent in the server or the network, since
the client appears to be practically idle.

Time to switch OS maybe? ;-) CVS times seem to be comparable

$ time cvs -d :ext:ugo@cvs.apache.org:/home/cvs -q -z3 update -dP
real    1m0.474s
user    0m2.390s
sys     0m7.310s

	Ugo

--
Ugo Cei - http://beblogging.com/

Re: Subversion really slow

Posted by Leszek Gawron <lg...@mobilebox.pl>.
Unico Hommes wrote:
> Leszek Gawron wrote:
>
>> Unico Hommes wrote:
>>
>>> My experience with subversion since we switched is that the cocoon
>>> repository is painfully slow at least using subclipse. I haven't much
>>> previous experience with subversion but I was under the impression
>>> that it should be more performant then CVS? So, I am wondering
>>> whether this is a problem with subclipse, the apache svn repository
>>> or subversion itself. I also noticed that cvs web subversion browsing
>>> is equally slow.
>>>
>>> Even worse, on my computer at home I haven't been able to checkout
>>> Cocoon at all because it keeps craching my computer. Both using the
>>> command line client and subclipse. Anybody have similar experience
>>> and/or advice?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Unico
>>>
>> in my case cli works like a charm. I've resigned from subclipse - had
>> the same problems you have.
>>

> Yes I've just installed the CLI and it works like you say. Could it be
> the JNI interface that causes it to be so slow?
In my case it looked like subclipse while "synchronizing" started to
consume 100% of CPU without creating any network traffic. Checkout
worked 	quite ok. Commit also (if I did not want to list changed files
in whole project). I think there's some kind of bug/performance problem
in Subclipse itself and not JNI as some actions work reasonably well.

Re: Subversion really slow

Posted by Unico Hommes <un...@hippo.nl>.

Re: Subversion really slow

Posted by Leszek Gawron <lg...@mobilebox.pl>.

RE: Subversion really slow

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
Carsten Ziegeler dijo:
> Yepp, similar problems here. It doesn't matter if I use subclipse or CLI.
> My machine simply hangs for 10 minutes or more and all other applications
> are blocked. So, in fact this is currently a major pita: I'm waiting
> a quarter of my time for svn to do something :( and I'm even not able
> to read mails or surf the net!
>
> I read somewhere that performance problems with subclipse will be solved
> as soon as svn 1.1 is out and they use it.

I can told another history on Linux, it is faster than CVS on the command
line and never crashed.

I use Fedora Core 2.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.

Re: Subversion really slow

Posted by Unico Hommes <un...@hippo.nl>.
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, Unico Hommes wrote:
>
>> Well at least my applications don't freeze up and I can do other
>> things in the meantime. But to give an impression to others of how
>> serious this is on Windows platform, the first mail I sent was just
>> after I started 'synchronize' in subclipse: it is still running .. I
>> know this is probably in vain but I'd almost suggest infrastructure
>> install 1.1 RC2 now which was released yesterday. This is impairing
>> developement to the point that subversion in its current state is
>> close to unusable for windows users.
>

> Can you pinpoint what the problem is? Network IO, CPU, other? I use
> SVN over a modem on W2K, and although I don't checkout Cocoon, I do
> checkout some largish things. I've had all sorts of pain with
> Subclipse (especialyl when refactoring in Eclipse) but even that has
> reached a point I can tolerate it. Basically, I don't see the problems
> you are seeing. Something oddly non-SVN has to be happening, this
> isn't SVN as normal.

I am seeing about 4000 bytes/sec network traffic for the subversion job.
Since I am on SDSL internet connection here, that should really be a lot
faster. CPU usage is almost 0.

> Do you use HTTPS to get the data? Have you run SVN from the
> commandline and (manually) accepted the fact that the ASF cert isn't
> quite right (I forget the message)?

Yes, I did that.

> BTW: What Eclipse are you using?

3.0 with latest subclipse.

Re: Subversion really slow

Posted by Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>.
On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 16:50, Adam R. B. Jack wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, Unico Hommes wrote:
>
> > Well at least my applications don't freeze up and I can do other things in
> > the meantime. But to give an impression to others of how serious this is on
> > Windows platform, the first mail I sent was just after I started
> > 'synchronize' in subclipse: it is still running .. I know this is probably in
> > vain but I'd almost suggest infrastructure install 1.1 RC2 now which was
> > released yesterday. This is impairing developement to the point that
> > subversion in its current state is close to unusable for windows users.
>
> Can you pinpoint what the problem is? Network IO, CPU, other? I use
> SVN over a modem on W2K, and although I don't checkout Cocoon, I do
> checkout some largish things. I've had all sorts of pain with
> Subclipse (especialyl when refactoring in Eclipse) but even that has
> reached a point I can tolerate it. Basically, I don't see the problems
> you are seeing. Something oddly non-SVN has to be happening, this
> isn't SVN as normal.

Maybe antiviral software?

Re: Subversion really slow

Posted by Unico Hommes <un...@hippo.nl>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> Adam R. B. Jack wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, Unico Hommes wrote:
>>
>>> Well at least my applications don't freeze up and I can do other
>>> things in the meantime. But to give an impression to others of how
>>> serious this is on Windows platform, the first mail I sent was just
>>> after I started 'synchronize' in subclipse: it is still running .. I
>>> know this is probably in vain but I'd almost suggest infrastructure
>>> install 1.1 RC2 now which was released yesterday. This is impairing
>>> developement to the point that subversion in its current state is
>>> close to unusable for windows users.
>>

>> Can you pinpoint what the problem is? Network IO, CPU, other? I use
>> SVN over a modem on W2K, and although I don't checkout Cocoon, I do
>> checkout some largish things. I've had all sorts of pain with
>> Subclipse (especialyl when refactoring in Eclipse) but even that has
>> reached a point I can tolerate it. Basically, I don't see the
>> problems you are seeing. Something oddly non-SVN has to be happening,
>> this isn't SVN as normal.
>>
>> Do you use HTTPS to get the data?
>

> Yes, I suppose all Cocoon committers use HTTPS.
>

>> Have you run SVN from the commandline and (manually) accepted the
>> fact that the ASF cert isn't quite right (I forget the message)?
>

> Yes.
>
> I have couple of suggestions to Carsten and Unico:
>   http://blog.reverycodes.com/archives/000028.html

Thanks. The disk operations you mention got me thinking it might be my
On-Access virus scanner :-) I'll try it out.

--
Unico

Re: Subversion really slow

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@apache.org>.
> I have couple of suggestions to Carsten and Unico:
>  http://blog.reverycodes.com/archives/000028.html
>
> Anything else I forgot? :)

For me, when Eclipse (the new stuff) was trying to 'decorate' all files with the SVN status, it killed my machine. I've found Eclipse 3.x fat as all heck without extra junk like that.

Hmm, that said, I've toyed with som many combinations of these two I wonder if that is an historical problem. I now get the latest Subclipse from loonsoft, using Eclipse updates, and don't seem to have the same problem. It saved me cycles for a while though...

regards,

Adam

Re: Subversion really slow

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.