Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Archie <an...@gmail.com> on 2017/03/30 01:26:37 UTC

working of Kafka quota for clients and users

Hi,

I am pretty new to kafka and want to understand how the quota system works
for kafka.

Till now I have been following the document here
<https://kafka.apache.org/documentation/>

I have been able to set the quotas (produce and consume) for new clients
using the following command

bin/kafka-configs.sh --zookeeper 10.11.10.2:2181 --alter --add-config
'producer_byte_rate=1024,consumer_byte_rate=1024' --entity-type clients
--entity-name clientA
I am also using the following command to measure the throughput of Kafka
topics

bin/kafka-producer-perf-test.sh --topic topic1 --num-records 100000
--record-size 100000 --throughput 500000 --producer-props acks=0
bootstrap.servers=10.11.10.2:9092

Now I am not sure how to assign a client-id for a particular producer.
Basically I want to run the kafka-producer-perf-test with a particular
client id.

Is it possible to do this. Also what is the difference between the
user-quota and client-quota? Can I assign user-id to a particular producer?

Thanks,
Archie