Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Edmondo Porcu <ed...@gmail.com> on 2018/05/23 13:41:52 UTC

Forcing un-assignment of partitions for Kafka application

We have a Kafka Streams app that fails to start correctly because somehow
the consumer doesn't get assigned any partition and the Queryable stores
are not available when the app starts.

Is there a way to force release the assignment that consumers have on
specific partitions?

Edmondo

Re: Forcing un-assignment of partitions for Kafka application

Posted by Bill Bejeck <bi...@confluent.io>.
Hi Edmondo,

While technically you can provide a custom KafkaClientProvider and
overwrite the configs for the consumer, I don't recommend you do so.
Partition and task assignment is much more involved in Kafka Streams than
doing so for plain consumers.

Why do you want to force partition assignment for consumers?

Can you share log files, your streams application configuration and any
code regarding the problem you outline at the beginning of your question?

Thanks,
Bill