Posted to jdo-dev@db.apache.org by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com> on 2010/06/25 15:21:29 UTC

Restructure jdo repository

I'd like to simplify the jdo repository that now contains lots of
projects that are no longer being used or maintained.

The only projects in trunk that have active development are api and
tck. There are a few files that we need to keep, such as LICENSE and
JDO3.MF, but most of the rest can be moved elsewhere.

I propose we svn move the legacy projects and files to jdo/legacy or
some other name from trunk, and in trunk keep just the api and tck
projects and associated files.

WDYT?

Craig

Craig L Russell
Architect, Oracle
http://db.apache.org/jdo
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@oracle.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: Restructure jdo repository

Posted by Matthew Adams <ma...@matthewadams.me>.
+1.  If I had the time (which I obviously don't), it'd also be nice to
upgrade to Maven2.  If it's not done before I get the time, I'll do
it...

--
mailto:matthew@matthewadams.me
skype:matthewadams12

Re: Restructure jdo repository

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Hi Andy,

On Jun 28, 2010, at 1:37 AM, Andy Jefferson wrote:

>>> I'd like to simplify the jdo repository that now contains lots of
>>> projects that are no longer being used or maintained.
>
> +1
>
>>> The only projects in trunk that have active development are api and
>>> tck. There are a few files that we need to keep, such as LICENSE and
>>> JDO3.MF, but most of the rest can be moved elsewhere.
>>>
>>> I propose we svn move the legacy projects and files to jdo/legacy or
>>> some other name from trunk, and in trunk keep just the api and tck
>>> projects and associated files.
>
> Isn't this what "branches" is for ?
>
> 1. when we release 3.0 then we create a "branches/3.0" and this
> contains all
> files that are there currently, so if anyone really wanted to see
> those other
> projects then they could do in that branch.

Actually, when we create a branches/3.0 we remove the files that we're
not releasing. Take a look at the branches/2.2 for example.

> 2. once we have a branches/3.0 then we delete the unneeded files
> from trunk, so
> it comes down to just "api" and "tck" and a few build files.

That is what we want, but just need a place to put the files that are
no longer being actively developed.

Craig

Posted by Andy Jefferson <an...@datanucleus.org>.

Posted by Michael Bouschen <mb...@spree.de>.
Hi Craig,

+1 for simplifying the jdo repository.

I like the idea of moving the legacy projects to a new directory
parallel to trunk.
About the name of the new directory: we used the name legacy for
subprojects (api-legacy and tck-legacy) that run with a JDK prior to
Java 5. I like the name archive-trunk better.

Regards Michael

--
*Michael Bouschen*
*Prokurist*

akquinet tech@spree GmbH
Bülowstr. 66, D-10783 Berlin

Fon:   +49 30 235 520-33
Fax:   +49 30 217 520-12
Email: michael.bouschen@akquinet.de

akquinet tech@spree GmbH, Berlin
Geschäftsführung: Martin Weber, Prof. Dr. Christian Roth
USt.-Id. Nr.: DE 225 964 680