Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> on 2011/05/02 19:10:18 UTC

What would YOU like to see in a four day Tapestry training course?

I'm planning on rewriting my Tapestry training materials for Tapestry
5.3, once it is stable.  As

It will still be a four day course, but I want to change the approach
and emphasis.  As always, I try to balance the needs of Tapestry (and
even Java Web Developer) new comers with the desire to keep it useful
and interesting for Tapestry journeymen and masters.

Think back to when you were first learning Tapestry 5 ... what kinds
of things would have made the biggest difference in your first few
days using Tapestry?

... and, BTW, my current course still really rocks and my next public
teach is coming up in London, starting July on 26:
http://skillsmatter.com/course/java-jee/tapestry-web-development

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: What would YOU like to see in a four day Tapestry training course?

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 10:40 AM, Adam Zimowski <zi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> When we were looking at your course Howard, seemed perfectly fit,
> covering all basics of the framework, very well. Therefore, not much
> to comment on your question IMO since it's hard to improve something
> already very good.

Wel, thanks!

> However, I see a lot of value in offering an advanced course, focusing
> mostly around IOC container, analyzing and explaining Tapestry source
> code. Debugging the framework, and implementing advanced concepts,
> such composition over inheritance, custom annotations, etc etc....

You can imagine how difficult it is to devise examples that make
sense, are encapsulated enough to be used in a lab or otherwise
understood, but still represent the kinds of things that real
applications require.  I do go into quite a bit of detail on Tapestry
internals (in the final session, which is not lab based), including
all the request processing pipelines.

Some of these things are better handled, I think, as custom mentoring
sessions rather than my attempt at a one-size-fits-all course.

Posted by Adam Zimowski <zi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Joost Schouten (ml)" <jo...@jsportal.com>.

Posted by ael <al...@dash.com.ph>.
Me too i really don't understand what is services IOC & how to use it.

That's why i prefer to use HibernateSessionManager its much easier.

Re: What would YOU like to see in a four day Tapestry training course?

Posted by Nicolas Barrera <nb...@gmail.com>.
When I first came across tapestry5 I got some trouble understanding that
everything was a component and even the simplicity
and coherence of the way of implementing a layout in tapestry made some
noise to me until I understood it right.

Tml things like ${} expression and the binding with it's variables was the
next step.

I think I started learning from the template or view side of the framework
and til now I 'm not so familiar with the services (ioc) part, I feel like
it's
kind of complicated and if I got the chance to learn it from it's creator it
would be great..., right now I think I can use tapestry to create web pages
but
I can't get it's most as I don't dominate ioc part.

so that's my 2 cents in favor to include some material on Services and IoC,
I could learn the other things by myself or reading quite easily,
but ioc part perhaps is not so easy to understand by your self.

that's my impression hope it helps,
cheers

Nicolás.-