Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Ken Anderson <ka...@pacific.net> on 2008/03/02 17:52:33 UTC

Re: DOB timeouts?

Michael Scheidell wrote:
> One more thing: email to them, ar.com  alices-registery, ANYTHING bounces.
>
> Any DNS blacklist provider who is not transparent and accessible needs to
> stop being used.
> (example: blocked.secnap.net  They rules for use are VERY explicit) and we
> are VERY easy go get ahold of

DOB's home is here: http://support-intelligence.com/dob/
It clearly says it's a BETA service. It's not blocking queries from us,
currently, but it has in the past been a bit unreliable, due to it's own
growing pains. It's a free service, so there's no requirement of
transparency or accessibility. Use it or don't. I've found it quite
useful simply because nobody else has made this data available, so it's
a good thing for use in SA META rules.

Ken
Pacific.Net

Re: DOB timeouts?

Posted by Rob McEwen <ro...@invaluement.com>.
Ken Anderson wrote:
> I've found it quite useful simply because nobody else has made this
> data available

Arguably, part of the reason that DOB was needed is because URIBL &
SURBL weren't catching everything and/or were not listing new spammer's
domains fast enough and, certainly, DOB picks up some of that slack.
However, there is now a third major URI blacklist in the same league as
URIBL & SURBL that is more FP-save than DOB... and, in fact, at least as
FP-save as SURBL, and this newer URI blacklist catches many of the spam
domains missed by SURBL & URIBL.

This newer URI dnsbl is called "ivmURI", short for "invaluement URI
blacklist"

ivmURI isn't meant to replace SURBL & URIBL. But it complements them
well. All three lists, ivmURI,  SURBL, & URIBL will all catch spammer
domains not found on the other two URI blacklists, which is why I use
all three in my own spam filtering. Frankly, there is not even a close
forth URI blacklist in terms of effectiveness and in terms of low FPs.

I believe that those who originally found a need to use DOB will find
that ivmURI does a better job of picking up the domains missed by both
SURBL & URIBL, while being more FP-safe and more reliable than DOB.

FOR EXAMPLE, SEE:

http://invaluement.com/results.txt

Unlike all of these other dnsbls I've mentioned, ivmURI does requires a
subscription for access. Contact me off-list for more details and for a
free trial.

Rob McEwen
rob@invaluement.com