Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net> on 2002/08/15 18:36:35 UTC

[VOTE][DBCP] 1.0 Release Plan

Craig and I came to the conclusion that a formal release plan and
vote had not taken place for a DBCP 1.0 release.  Craig said he
no longer had time to continue with this.  Tomcat 4.1.x is getting
close to a final release and needs to include a released version
of DBCP.

DBCP 1.0 Release Plan
---------------------

Build DBCP w/o jdbcb2pool and w/o dependency on commons-lang.
Modify build.xml to support building either DBCP or jdbc2pool.

Build both JDK1.3 and JDK1.4 versions of DBCP.  Sign the releases.

branch CVS for jakarta-commons/dbcp 1.0 release.

I can act as release manager.

<Ballot>
+1 [ ] Do the release, I can help
+0 [ ] Do the release
-0 [ ] Not happy with the release but I won't veto it
-1 [ ] Don't do the release for the following reasons
</Ballot>

Regards,

Glenn

Re: [VOTE][DBCP] 1.0 Release Plan

Posted by Steve Downey <st...@netfolio.com>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> Glenn Nielsen wrote:
>
>> Craig and I came to the conclusion that a formal release plan and
>> vote had not taken place for a DBCP 1.0 release.  Craig said he
>> no longer had time to continue with this.  Tomcat 4.1.x is getting
>> close to a final release and needs to include a released version
>> of DBCP.
>>
>> DBCP 1.0 Release Plan
>> ---------------------
>>
>> Build DBCP w/o jdbcb2pool and w/o dependency on commons-lang.
>> Modify build.xml to support building either DBCP or jdbc2pool.
>>
>> Build both JDK1.3 and JDK1.4 versions of DBCP.  Sign the releases.
>>
>> branch CVS for jakarta-commons/dbcp 1.0 release.
>>
>> I can act as release manager.
>>
>> <Ballot>
>> +1 [ ] Do the release, I can help
>> +0 [ ] Do the release
>> -0 [ ] Not happy with the release but I won't veto it
>> -1 [ ] Don't do the release for the following reasons
>> </Ballot>
>

> +0. (I want it, and I need it; Tomcat users need DBCP badly too)
>
> (I have a non binding vote, so sorry, I can't +1)
>
> I'm not sure branching is needed, since the component is quite small.
> Many commons components are doing fine without branching.
>
> Remy

I assume everyone _is_ tagging the release in CVS. Given that, it's not
that big a deal to also mark that tag as a branch point.  It's even easy
to do it after the fact.

But following process when it's easy makes it easier to follow process
when it's hard. And that's when process usually ends up saving your butt.

Re: [VOTE][DBCP] 1.0 Release Plan

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE][DBCP] 1.0 Release Plan

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Glenn Nielsen wrote:
> There were no -1 votes so DBCP 1.0 is released.
>
> I checked and there were no unresolved bugs in Bugzilla for DBCP.
>
> Craig had already tagged the release in CVS.
> No one else is signing releases so I left that be.
>
> I decided to leave it at what Craig had done,

And thanks to everyone involved in that component, as it will be very
important for the success of Tomcat 4.1.

Remy

Re: [VOTE][DBCP] 1.0 Release Plan

Posted by Geir Ove Gr�nmo <gr...@ontopia.net>.
* Craig R. McClanahan
| On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Glenn Nielsen wrote:
|
| > Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 08:19:12 -0500
| > From: Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>
| > To: Jakarta Commons Developers List <co...@jakarta.apache.org>
| > Subject: Re: [VOTE][DBCP] 1.0 Release Plan
| >
| > There were no -1 votes so DBCP 1.0 is released.
| >
| > I checked and there were no unresolved bugs in Bugzilla for DBCP.
| >
| > Craig had already tagged the release in CVS.
| > No one else is signing releases so I left that be.
| >
| > I decided to leave it at what Craig had done,
| >

| Note that the version I built was with JDK 1.4.  Does it still make sense
| to compile and post a 1.3 version (based on the same CVS tag)?

I would recommed to always build distributions with the lowest supported
JDK version. The reason is that the JDK releases sometimes contain
changes that causes trouble when executing bytecodes with earlier JVMs.

One example is StringBuffer.append(StringBuffer). This method was
introduced in Java 1.4.

A 1.4 compiler that compiles such a method call would tie the bytecodes
to StringBuffer.append(StringBuffer), but compilers using earlier Java
API releases would tie it to StringBuffer.append(Object).

Executing the code compiled against 1.4 would throw an exception with
earlier releases, since this particular method does not exist in earlier
releases.

I don't know if this would be a problem with DBCP. It could be.

Geir O.

Re: [VOTE][DBCP] 1.0 Release Plan

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Glenn Nielsen wrote:

> Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 08:19:12 -0500
> From: Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>
> To: Jakarta Commons Developers List <co...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: [VOTE][DBCP] 1.0 Release Plan
>
> There were no -1 votes so DBCP 1.0 is released.
>
> I checked and there were no unresolved bugs in Bugzilla for DBCP.
>
> Craig had already tagged the release in CVS.
> No one else is signing releases so I left that be.
>
> I decided to leave it at what Craig had done,

Note that the version I built was with JDK 1.4.  Does it still make sense
to compile and post a 1.3 version (based on the same CVS tag)?

> Thanks Craig.
>
> Glenn

Craig

Re: [VOTE][DBCP] 1.0 Release Plan

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>.

Re: [VOTE][DBCP] 1.0 Release Plan

Posted by Juozas Baliuka <ba...@centras.lt>.
+1

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: [VOTE][DBCP] 1.0 Release Plan

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>.

Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Glenn Nielsen wrote:
>

>>Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 11:36:35 -0500
>>From: Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>
>>To: commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org
>>Subject: [VOTE][DBCP] 1.0 Release Plan
>>
>>Craig and I came to the conclusion that a formal release plan and
>>vote had not taken place for a DBCP 1.0 release.  Craig said he
>>no longer had time to continue with this.  Tomcat 4.1.x is getting
>>close to a final release and needs to include a released version
>>of DBCP.
>>
>>DBCP 1.0 Release Plan
>>---------------------
>>
>>Build DBCP w/o jdbcb2pool and w/o dependency on commons-lang.
>>Modify build.xml to support building either DBCP or jdbc2pool.
>>
>>Build both JDK1.3 and JDK1.4 versions of DBCP.  Sign the releases.
>>
>>branch CVS for jakarta-commons/dbcp 1.0 release.
>>
>>I can act as release manager.
>>
>><Ballot>
>>+1 [ ] Do the release, I can help
>>+0 [X] Do the release
>>-0 [ ] Not happy with the release but I won't veto it
>>-1 [ ] Don't do the release for the following reasons
>></Ballot>
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Glenn
>>

> Are 1.3 and 1.4 based releases really needed?  My experience is that a
> 1.4-compiled dbcp will work on a 1.3 JDK if you avoid the new methods.
>
> Craig

That is the key, "if you avoid the new methods".  When used for a JNDI

DataSource in a container like Tomcat where customers can deploy web
applications there is no guarantee they will design or deploy code which
knows to not try and use the JDK 1.4/JDBC 3.0 methods.  Two different
builds lets those installing DBCP to select the version which matches their
environment.

Regards,

Glenn

Re: [VOTE][DBCP] 1.0 Release Plan