Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Garret Wilson <ga...@globalmentor.com> on 2004/09/26 00:39:44 UTC

webdav servlet file path; documentation

I just stumbled upon the Tomcat webdav servlet, which *almost* meets all
my needs.

1. Is there some more complete documentation somewhere?

By default the servlet accesses the file system inside the web context.
(That is, a servlet mapped to /context/webapp/* will show files in
/context/webapp/ .)

2. What happens when I deploy my webapp as a .war---surely webdav
methods won't modify the contents of the .war, will they?

3. How do I map the servlet to an absolute file on the server machine?
The need for this is obvious in relation to the second question---I'd
like to deploy my web application (the "code" in the .war) independently
of the webdav-accessible documents (the "data").

4. I'm sure I'll get into this once I get more documentation, but where
should I start looking regarding implementing custom security methods?
That is, rather than defining static users and passwords, I'd like my
web application to dynamically validate all webdav accesses.

Thanks,

Garret

Re: webdav servlet file path; documentation

Posted by Garret Wilson <ga...@globalmentor.com>.
Garret Wilson wrote:
> By default the servlet accesses the file system inside the web context.
> (That is, a servlet mapped to /context/webapp/* will show files in
> /context/webapp/ .)

Ack! Apparently the servlet will allow access to files in /context/ ,
which is much worse?

> 3. How do I map the servlet to an absolute file on the server machine?

(I meant "directory" of course.) This question is even more important,
now...

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
From: Garret Wilson [mailto:garret@globalmentor.com]
> 1. Is there some more complete documentation somewhere?

Sorry, no. It has been on my list of things to do for a while but to be honest
it isn't that high. Patches to the existing documentation are always welcome ;)

> By default the servlet accesses the file system inside the
> web context.
> (That is, a servlet mapped to /context/webapp/* will show files in
> /context/webapp/ .)
>
> 2. What happens when I deploy my webapp as a .war---surely webdav
> methods won't modify the contents of the .war, will they?

Actually, it is anything under /context/ excluding the WEB-INF directory.
Never tried it with a war. It certainly won't edit the contents.

> 3. How do I map the servlet to an absolute file on the server
> machine?
> The need for this is obvious in relation to the second question---I'd
> like to deploy my web application (the "code" in the .war)
> independently
> of the webdav-accessible documents (the "data").

As long as all the code is in WEB-INF you should be fine.

Or map the webdav sevlet to a different URL. Eg "/data/*" rather than "/*". On
*nix boxes you _might_ be able to use symlinks to map /data/ to another part of
the filing system but I, for my sins, am a 100% windoze user so can't really
offer much advice symlinks and the like.

Or use two contexts (ugly)

> 4. I'm sure I'll get into this once I get more documentation,
> but where
> should I start looking regarding implementing custom security
> methods?
> That is, rather than defining static users and passwords, I'd like my
> web application to dynamically validate all webdav accesses.

Not really sure what you are trying to do here. Could you give me a use case? If
what you want to do isn't covered by the servlet spec you are going to have to
get into modifying something, probably the webDAV servlet.

HTH

Mark