Posted to doc@openoffice.apache.org by bm...@gmail.com on 2014/08/15 00:46:45 UTC

Edits to Base Data Types

Hi Everyone,
I was poking around the Wiki and came upon this page that needs some help.
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Base/Data_Types#Numeric_Types
 I’ve gone through and made a few edits to help with clarity and accuracy, but there are a couple more questions that I have regarding its accuracy.
1. The page indicates that the LONGVARCHAR and VARCHAR types are identical.  It seems like that should be inaccurate.  Does anyone know if there is a difference in maximum size or any other parameter to differentiate the two?
2. Does anyone know the exact format
I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask this question, I am just getting started with the project and would really appreciate any guidance you have.
I hope everyone is having a great week!
Thank you,
Bailey

Sent from Windows Mail

Re: Edits to Base Data Types

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi Bailey,

bmarie.naas@gmail.com schrieb:

> Hi Everyone,
> I was poking around the Wiki and came upon this page that needs some help.
> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Base/Data_Types#Numeric_Types

OpenOffice uses HyperSQL version 1.8. Their documentation is in
http://www.hsqldb.org/doc/1.8/guide/index.html
and concerning data types especially
http://www.hsqldb.org/doc/1.8/guide/ch09.html#N123FB

>   I’ve gone through and made a few edits to help with clarity and accuracy, but there are a couple more questions that I have regarding its accuracy.
> 1. The page indicates that the LONGVARCHAR and VARCHAR types are identical.  It seems like that should be inaccurate.  Does anyone know if there is a difference in maximum size or any other parameter to differentiate the two?
> 2. Does anyone know the exact format
> I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask this question, I am just getting started with the project and would really appreciate any guidance you have.
> I hope everyone is having a great week!
> Thank you,
> Bailey

The documentation for version 2.3 is more verbose, but I don't know
which parts are unchanged compared to 1.8.
http://www.hsqldb.org/doc/2.0/guide/index.html

Another aspect is, what differences exist in using the UI in OpenOffice
compared to using SQL statements directly via Tools > SQL...
Unfortunately I don't know :(

Kind regards
Regina

Re: Edits to Base Data Types

Posted by De Angela Jackson <de...@gmail.com>.
Hi Bailey,

After reading the definitions, only the padding and maximum size is
the same for both.  From what I can tell, you can specify the size of
VARCHAR up to the max size (this allows you to control the amount of
space/memory that you allocate).  The LONGVARCHAR size is already
set--the max size.

Hope that makes sense or even helps.

De Angela