Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by "V.Sriram" <sr...@ask.com> on 2011/11/01 08:28:16 UTC

Hbase Multiple Master issue

Hi all,

I am evaluating HBase Multiple master utility as I require that
funtionality. I used a simple 4 machine hbase cluster with M1 as master. Now
I started the Hmaster in M4 as well. I could see logs in M4 Master log as,
This HMaster is waiting as already M1 is acting as HMaster.

After this I stopped the Master in the M1 and after few seconds, the M4
master took over. But I am not seeing any region server communicating to
this new master. The region server logs show,

2011-10-31 23:21:18,834 WARN
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer: Unable to connect to
master. Retrying. Error was:
        at
sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.finishConnect(SocketChannelImpl.java:574)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.net.SocketIOWithTimeout.connect(SocketIOWithTimeout.java:206)
        at org.apache.hadoop.net.NetUtils.connect(NetUtils.java:404)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.HBaseClient$Connection.setupIOstreams(HBaseClient.java:311)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.HBaseClient.getConnection(HBaseClient.java:865)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.HBaseClient.call(HBaseClient.java:732)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.HBaseRPC$Invoker.invoke(HBaseRPC.java:257)
        at $Proxy3.getProtocolVersion(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.HBaseRPC.getProxy(HBaseRPC.java:419)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.HBaseRPC.getProxy(HBaseRPC.java:393)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.HBaseRPC.getProxy(HBaseRPC.java:444)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.HBaseRPC.waitForProxy(HBaseRPC.java:349)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer.getMaster(HRegionServer.java:1443)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer.tryRegionServerReport(HRegionServer.java:737)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer.run(HRegionServer.java:586)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

Also in the M4 Master log I am seeing,

2011-10-31 23:20:47,671 INFO org.apache.hadoop.http.HttpServer:
listener.getLocalPort() returned 60010
webServer.getConnectors()[0].getLocalPort() returned 60010
2011-10-31 23:20:47,671 INFO org.apache.hadoop.http.HttpServer: Jetty bound
to port 60010
2011-10-31 23:20:47,671 INFO org.mortbay.log: jetty-6.1.26
2011-10-31 23:20:48,691 INFO org.mortbay.log: Started
SelectChannelConnector@0.0.0.0:60010
2011-10-31 23:20:48,691 DEBUG org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.HMaster:
Started service threads
2011-10-31 23:20:50,192 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.ServerManager:
Waiting on regionserver(s) to checkin
2011-10-31 23:20:51,695 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.ServerManager:
Waiting on regionserver(s) to checkin
2011-10-31 23:20:53,197 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.ServerManager:
Waiting on regionserver(s) to checkin

Seems the region servers are only communicating to the M1 Hmaster and not to
the new one!!

Any help regarding this is highly appreciated :handshake:

Re: How to import binary data using importTSV

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 3:29 PM, ChongQing Xiao <Cq...@epic.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know if ImportTsv supports importing binary data?
> From the source code, it seems it only support text in the .tsv file for the column value.

If I were to guess, a tool named importtsv probably doesn't do binary.

> It seems pretty simple to add encoding (say using BASE64) to support binary row key or binary data.

You could base64 encode and then use this in importtsv or, subclass or
replace the tsv part of the importtsv tool.

St.Ack

How to import binary data using importTSV

Posted by ChongQing Xiao <Cq...@epic.com>.
Hi,

Does anyone know if ImportTsv supports importing binary data?
>From the source code, it seems it only support text in the .tsv file for the column value.

It seems pretty simple to add encoding (say using BASE64) to support binary row key or binary data.

Thanks
Chong

RE: RE: Hbase Multiple Master issue

Posted by Ramkrishna S Vasudevan <ra...@huawei.com>.

But you say you cannot move out of HBASE-0.90.0 version.  If you can move
out from that version then it should work fine I feel.

Regards
Ram

Posted by "V.Sriram" <sr...@ask.com>.
Thank a  lot for your suggesstions Ram. I will see the code. Meanwhile I just
now evaluated with Hbase 0.90.4 and it works fine after throwing few
exceptions - Socket connections with old master then,
2011-11-03 02:14:49,578 WARN
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer: RemoteException
connecting to master
java.io.IOException: java.io.IOException: java.lang.NullPointerException
Method)
        at
        at
        at
org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RemoteException.instantiateException(RemoteException.java:96)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RemoteException.unwrapRemoteException(RemoteException.java:80)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer.tryRegionServerReport(HRegionServer.java:734)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer.run(HRegionServer.java:595)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
Caused by: org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RemoteException: java.io.IOException:
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.ServerManager.raceThatShouldNotHappenAnymore(ServerManager.java:307)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.ServerManager.regionServerReport(ServerManager.java:273)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.HMaster.regionServerReport(HMaster.java:638)
        at
        at
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.HBaseRPC$Server.call(HBaseRPC.java:570)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.HBaseServer$Handler.run(HBaseServer.java:1036)

        at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.HBaseClient.call(HBaseClient.java:771)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.HBaseRPC$Invoker.invoke(HBaseRPC.java:257)
        at $Proxy5.regionServerReport(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer.tryRegionServerReport(HRegionServer.java:728)
        ... 2 more

After this exception, I got messages like,

Attempting to connect to Master at M4 and then,
Connected to master at M4.

Posted by "V.Sriram" <sr...@ask.com>.

Posted by Stuti Awasthi <st...@hcl.com>.
Hi Sriram,

V.Sriram wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. Will try other versions as well!!
>
> regards,
> V.Sriram
>

> Ramkrishna S Vasudevan wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> If i remember correctly  this issue was fixed in later versions of
>> 0.90.0.
>> Could you try this in other versions and see if this problem
>> persists..ideally it should not.
>>

>> Regards
>> Ram

::DISCLAIMER::