Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Alexander Kriegisch <al...@kriegisch.name> on 2024/02/22 06:59:01 UTC

How to suppress meta tags 'generator', 'date' in Doxia Site Renderer?

Hello Maven community.

When generating Maven sites, I like to keep the diffs to previous
version to the absolute minimum before committing changes to a published
site. My commits should only contain content changes. Therefore, I
already use this in my site.xml:

  <custom>
    <fluidoSkin>
      <skipGenerationDate>true</skipGenerationDate>
    </fluidoSkin>
  </custom>

Unfortunately, I found no way to suppress these generated tags on each
single page:

They constitute about 90% of my commit diffs, making it look like all
pages have changed in the commit log, even though maybe I just fixed a
typo on a single page. How can I customise that behaviour?

--
Alexander Kriegisch
https://scrum-master.de

Re: How to suppress meta tags 'generator', 'date' in Doxia Site Renderer?

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
On 2024/02/28 14:01:42 sebb wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Feb 2024 at 13:40, Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > On 2024/02/22 06:59:01 Alexander Kriegisch wrote:
> > > Hello Maven community.
> > >
> > > When generating Maven sites, I like to keep the diffs to previous
> > > version to the absolute minimum before committing changes to a published
> > > site. My commits should only contain content changes. Therefore, I
> > > already use this in my site.xml:
> > >
> > >   <custom>
> > >     <fluidoSkin>
> > >       <skipGenerationDate>true</skipGenerationDate>
> > >     </fluidoSkin>
> > >   </custom>
> > >
> > > Unfortunately, I found no way to suppress these generated tags on each
> > > single page:

> > > They constitute about 90% of my commit diffs, making it look like all
> > > pages have changed in the commit log, even though maybe I just fixed a
> > > typo on a single page. How can I customise that behaviour?
> >
> > I do not fully understand which problem you have. As long as you stay on the same version of all affected components there should be no diff, but only your content change. Can you elaborate? What do you exactly change?
>
> Suppose you release version 1.2.2 of a project using Doxia 1.11.0
> Later you would like to release version 1.2.3, by then Doxia 1.11.1 is out.
>
> As part of checking the release, you would like to check that the
> Javadoc changes properly reflect the code changes.
> However the Doxia version change generates tons of spurious output.

True, that is what I wanted to hear. I have/had the same problem during dev/testing. Raise an issue with the skin, please.

Re: How to suppress meta tags 'generator', 'date' in Doxia Site Renderer?

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Yes, read here please: https://lists.apache.org/thread/vj7twmhm4b10zk0smko4tw8b4klto4bj

Posted by Alexander Kriegisch <Al...@Kriegisch.name>.

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
On 2024/03/07 10:24:07 Alexander Kriegisch wrote:
> Thanks, Michael,
>
> for challenging my problem description and asking for a reproducer. When
> trying to reproduce in a green-field project, skipGenerationDate=true
> was actually enough to suppress the timestamp meta tag on pages in
> default formats. As soon, however, as HTML pages generated from asciidoc
> sources using asciidoctor-maven-plugin come into play, the pages will
> contain timestamps. I think, I will investigate further in that
> direction about why that happens and whether it can be suppressed.

You should have mentioned Asciidoctor much much earlier then I would have told you that it completely circumvents the Doxia Sink API and does its own thing with direct passthrough. Therefore, the output is out of our control.

Michael

Re: How to suppress meta tags 'generator', 'date' in Doxia Site Renderer?

Posted by Alexander Kriegisch <Al...@Kriegisch.name>.
To close the issue, here is what I did to suppress all sorts of dates
and timestamps in Doxia and Fluido:

<project xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/DECORATION/1.8.0"
  xsi:schemaLocation="http://maven.apache.org/DECORATION/1.8.0
http://maven.apache.org/xsd/decoration-1.8.0.xsd">

  <!-- Suppress date via 'position="none"' -->
  <publishDate format="yyyy-MM-dd" position="none"/>
  <version position="right"/>

  <skin>
    <groupId>org.apache.maven.skins</groupId>
    <artifactId>maven-fluido-skin</artifactId>
    <version>1.11.1</version>
  </skin>
  <custom>
    <fluidoSkin>
      <!-- Suppress both visible generation date and timestamp meta tag -->
      <skipGenerationDate>true</skipGenerationDate>
    </fluidoSkin>
  </custom>
    <!-- Suppress copyright notice with current year by deactivating
footer -->
    <footer/>

</project>

On top of that, I needed this in my Maven site plugin configuration to
also address the same concern specifically in asciidoc pages (look for
"docdate" and "docdatetime"):

  <build>
    <pluginManagement>
      <plugins>
        <plugin>
          <version>3.12.1</version>
          <dependencies>
            <dependency>
              <groupId>org.asciidoctor</groupId>
              <artifactId>asciidoctor-maven-plugin</artifactId>
              <version>2.2.6</version>
            </dependency>
            <dependency>
              <groupId>org.asciidoctor</groupId>
              <artifactId>asciidoctorj-diagram</artifactId>
              <version>2.3.0</version>
            </dependency>
          </dependencies>
          <configuration>
            <generateReports>false</generateReports>
            <generateSitemap>true</generateSitemap>
            <relativizeDecorationLinks>false</relativizeDecorationLinks>
            <locales>en</locales>
            <inputEncoding>UTF-8</inputEncoding>
            <outputEncoding>UTF-8</outputEncoding>
            <asciidoc>
              <!-- Optional site-wide AsciiDoc attributes -->
              <attributes>
                <!-- Suppress timestamp meta tag -->
                <docdate/>
                <docdatetime/>
              </attributes>
              <requires>
                <require>asciidoctor-diagram</require>
              </requires>
            </asciidoc>
          </configuration>
        </plugin>
      </plugins>
    </pluginManagement>
  </build>

HTH. Thanks to all of you for your support.

Cheers
--
Alexander Kriegisch
https://scrum-master.de

Posted by Alexander Kriegisch <Al...@Kriegisch.name>.
Thanks, Michael,

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alexander Kriegisch <Al...@Kriegisch.name>.
Michael,

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alexander Kriegisch <al...@kriegisch.name>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alexander Kriegisch <al...@kriegisch.name>.
Greg,

I am currently using an Antrun regex replace job to remove the version
number from "Generated by javadoc ([docletVersion])" comments in
javadocs, see the JDK issue I raised:

https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8326483

<plugin>
  <version>3.1.0</version>
  <executions>
    <execution>
      <id>filter-javadocs</id>
      <phase>package</phase>
      <goals>
        <goal>run</goal>
      </goals>
      <configuration>
        <target>
          <replaceregexp byline="true">
            <regexp pattern="^(&lt;!-- Generated by javadoc ).* (--&gt;)$"/>
            <substitution expression="\1\2"/>
            <fileset dir="${project.build.directory}/apidocs">
              <include name="**/*.html"/>
            </fileset>
          </replaceregexp>
        </target>
      </configuration>
    </execution>
  </executions>
</plugin>

I could do something similar for this issue, but it is super ugly
already and I would like to avoid using more of that stuff.

--
Alexander Kriegisch
https://scrum-master.de

Posted by Greg Chabala <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexander Kriegisch <al...@kriegisch.name>.
I forgot to mention, that it would also be nice to get rid of this content:

  <!--
   | Generated by Apache Maven Doxia Site Renderer 1.11.1 from some/path/my.adoc
   | Rendered using Apache Maven Fluido Skin 1.11.1
  -->

--
Alexander Kriegisch
https://scrum-master.de