Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Paolo Vicario <pa...@uniud.it> on 2011/08/25 11:13:53 UTC

Mirror daryl.dostech.ca down forever?

Hi,
same "500 Can't connect to daryl.dostech.ca:80 (connect: timeout)" problem
for me as for many others, seeing the mailing archive.

But I don't understand whether this is a temporary failure or not.

My MIRRORED.BY file is:

# test mirror: zone, cached via Coral
#http://buildbot.spamassassin.org.nyud.net:8090/updatestage/
http://daryl.dostech.ca/sa-update/asf/ weight=5
http://www.sa-update.pccc.com/ weight=5

I tried to manually run 'sa-update --refreshmirrors', but the file remained
the same. What could I do? Should I modify manually the file?
Delete the 'daryl.dostech.ca' line? Alter the 'weight' value?

Thank in advance

--
Paolo Vicario,
Centro Servizi Informatici e Telematici (CSIT)

SEMEL (SErvizio di Messaging ELettronico) - CSIT -Universita' di Udine

RE: Re: Mirror daryl.dostech.ca down forever?

Posted by Paolo Vicario <pa...@uniud.it>.
> On 8/25/11 5:13 AM, Paolo Vicario wrote:
>> Hi,
>> same "500 Can't connect to daryl.dostech.ca:80 (connect: timeout)" problem
>> for me as for many others, seeing the mailing archive.
>>
>> But I don't understand whether this is a temporary failure or not.
>>
>> My MIRRORED.BY file is:
> try it now.  either delete MIRRORED.BY or run sa-update --refreshmirrors now.

Seems all is OK again: my last nightly cron job exit successfully.
Thank you!

Posted by Michael Scheidell <mi...@secnap.com>.
On 8/25/11 5:13 AM, Paolo Vicario wrote:
> Hi,
> same "500 Can't connect to daryl.dostech.ca:80 (connect: timeout)"
> problem
> for me as for many others, seeing the mailing archive.
>
> But I don't understand whether this is a temporary failure or not.
>
> My MIRRORED.BY file is:
try it now.  either delete MIRRORED.BY or run sa-update --refreshmirrors
now.

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
o: 561-999-5000
 >*| *SECNAP Network Security Corporation

    * Best Mobile Solutions Product of 2011
    * Best Intrusion Prevention Product
    * Hot Company Finalist 2011
    * Best Email Security Product
    * Certified SNORT Integrator

Re: Mirror daryl.dostech.ca down forever?

Posted by Michael Scheidell <mi...@secnap.com>.
On 8/25/11 5:13 AM, Paolo Vicario wrote:
> I tried to manually run 'sa-update --refreshmirrors', but the file
> remained
> the same. What could I do? Should I modify manually the file?
> Delete the 'daryl.dostech.ca' line? Alter the 'weight' value?
in THEORY, if you have at least ONE working mirror, it will pull a new
MIRRORED.BY each time, so you should not be blocked unless all mirrors
are down.

I don't think you need to run --refreshmirrors, unless sa-update fails.

I have a script that if it sees rc=4, it pulls a new GPG key, or rc=2,
erases MIRRORED.BY and then runs sa-update again.
(if sa-update can't find MIRRORED.BY, it automatically pulls a new one)
and, if sa-update RUNS, it pulls a new MIRRORED.BY.

so, if you want to manually tweak things (not really necessary unless
you really want to save the timeout on a broken mirror), you edit
MIRRORED.BY JUST BEFORE calling sa-update.

be careful:  daryl will be up and running soon, and if you edit them
out, and the other mirror(s) are down, ..

just saying, that the only time you will get a total failure is when all
mirrors are down, and tweaking the file won't help anyway.

be patient.. it takes a little time to set up, test, QA and make sure
any new mirror is up and running before adding it to the rotation.