Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "Christopher K. St. John" <ck...@distributopia.com> on 2002/06/12 19:48:54 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Minor fix for servletapi-4 GenericServlet

GOMEZ Henri wrote:

> I propose you to make a PROPOSAL for servletapi4 patch
> to tomcat-dev list.

 In the jakarta-servletapi-4 repository, the class:

   javax.servlet.GenericServlet

 has init() and destory() methods that call log(). While
not specifically prohibited in the 2.3 spec, it results
in unncessary output into logs. Also, it's annoying.

 My proposal is to remove the two log() statements from
GenericServet.init() and GenericServlet.destory(). If
somebody needs them for debugging, they can add them
back into their local copy.

 This was reported as bug #7190. I've included a patch
as an attachment to this message (it just removes the
two log messages and updates the copyright date)

--
Christopher St. John cks@distributopia.com
DistribuTopia http://www.distributopia.com

RE: [PROPOSAL] Minor fix for servletapi-4 GenericServlet

Posted by John Trollinger <ja...@trollingers.com>.
There is another question here.  When log() is called no default log
level is assigned to it so there is no way to prevent log() messages
from cluttering the log files.  What about a change to allow the setting
of the log level for the log() method in server.xml or web.xml (or even
giving it a its own log level) so then all the log() messages can be
turned on and off..

>  In the jakarta-servletapi-4 repository, the class:
>
>    javax.servlet.GenericServlet
>
>  has init() and destory() methods that call log(). While
> not specifically prohibited in the 2.3 spec, it results
> in unncessary output into logs. Also, it's annoying.
>
>  My proposal is to remove the two log() statements from
> GenericServet.init() and GenericServlet.destory(). If
> somebody needs them for debugging, they can add them
> back into their local copy.
>
>  This was reported as bug #7190. I've included a patch
> as an attachment to this message (it just removes the
> two log messages and updates the copyright date)

+1. This sounds reasonable to me.

Remy

Re: [PROPOSAL] Minor fix for servletapi-4 GenericServlet

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.