Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net> on 2004/09/15 14:42:15 UTC

Re: pdf image path

thorsten wrote:
> Hello devs,
>
> I noticed that in pdf a path like ../images/test.png will not be
> displayed (rendered).
>
> If I place the same image in my xdocs dir then it will get rendered.
>
> Is that a known issue?
>
> King regards
> thorsten

Yes, looking for image locations for PDFs is limited.  However I have
tried to make it work as close to HTML as possible.  See
skins/common/xslt/fo/document2fo.xsl line 738 for the details.  If you
need more explanation of how those tests work, just ask.

It does not look in the "raw" directory for files.  I know of no way to
check for a file there and then if it doesn't exist, try looking for it
in the xdocs dir.  That is one reason I think in the future src & raw
directories should be combined.

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.splike.com : programming

Re: pdf image path

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
On Sep 15, 2004, at 10:34 AM, Dave Brondsema wrote:
> If the href starts with 'images/' it looks in src/resources/images
> (same
> as HTML).  The reason it looks in the xdocs directory for other hrefs
> is
> because (I think this is old and probably could be deprecated) a
> my-images
> subdirectory can be used to have images in xdocs.

Thanks for the clarification. It helps, but I've still got a ways to
go. I'm using forrest to take my documentation source files to a web
site along with the nifty PDF files. The documentation is in
OpenOffice.org 1.1.2 .sxw format.

So here's my dilemma: How do I get the images to display in
OpenOffice.org, while using linked graphics from some directory? At the
moment I specify the full path to the graphics when including them in
OOo. I'm converting Microsoft Word files to OOo and I'd love to just
have the embedded graphics Just Show Up(tm) in my forrest output. But
that doesn't work (yet? :-D). So my workaround is to modify the
properties for each graphic, and ensure they point to each graphic
located in my medata_docs/ 'images' directory:

medata_docs/src/documentation/content/xdocs/images/

Are you saying that I should place the graphics here?:

/src/resources/images/

Of course, to make things more difficult, I want to have the link I
create in OOo work in the HTML output as well as the PDF (although the
PDF output link isn't nearly as important--especially if I can get the
PDF's image resolution upwards of 150dpi or 300dpi--a pipe dream? :-)).

Web Maestro Clay

Re: pdf image path

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.
On Wed, 15 Sep 2004, Clay Leeds wrote:

> On Sep 15, 2004, at 5:42 AM, Dave Brondsema wrote:
> > thorsten wrote:
> >> Hello devs,
> >> I noticed that in pdf a path like ../images/test.png will not be
> >> displayed (rendered).
> >> If I place the same image in my xdocs dir then it will get rendered.
> >> Is that a known issue?
> >> King regards
> >> thorsten
> >
> > Yes, looking for image locations for PDFs is limited.  However I have
> > tried to make it work as close to HTML as possible.  See
> > skins/common/xslt/fo/document2fo.xsl line 738 for the details.  If you
> > need more explanation of how those tests work, just ask.
> >
> > It does not look in the "raw" directory for files.  I know of no way
> > to check for a file there and then if it doesn't exist, try looking
> > for it in the xdocs dir.  That is one reason I think in the future src
> > & raw directories should be combined.
>
> Since I'm generating a /forrest/ web site and I expect PDF in the
> output, I expect to have all of my images show up in the PDF files.
> IIUC, this means that I need to place all of my image files in the
> xdocs directory for them to show up? I guess I can comply, but I don't
> think that is very convenient. It would be better if the system would
> (by default) expect to find images in 'xdocs/images/'. If explaining to
> forrest users is a problem, that could be a FAQ as well as part of the
> documentation.
>
> Web Maestro Clay

If the href starts with 'images/' it looks in src/resources/images (same
as HTML).  The reason it looks in the xdocs directory for other hrefs is
because (I think this is old and probably could be deprecated) a my-images
subdirectory can be used to have images in xdocs.

But yes, we should put an FAQ explain it if it is any way not the same as
HTML.

Re: pdf image path

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.

Re: pdf image path

Posted by thorsten <th...@apache.org>.
Dave Brondsema wrote:
> thorsten wrote:
>
>> Hello devs,
>>
>> I noticed that in pdf a path like ../images/test.png will not be
>> displayed (rendered).
>>
>> If I place the same image in my xdocs dir then it will get rendered.
>>
>> Is that a known issue?
>>
>> King regards
>> thorsten
>>

> Yes, looking for image locations for PDFs is limited.  However I have
> tried to make it work as close to HTML as possible.  See
> skins/common/xslt/fo/document2fo.xsl line 738 for the details.  If you
> need more explanation of how those tests work, just ask.
>
> It does not look in the "raw" directory for files.  I know of no way to
> check for a file there and then if it doesn't exist, try looking for it
> in the xdocs dir.  That is one reason I think in the future src & raw
> directories should be combined.

I did not had time to have a closer look because I have to hand in the
docu. ;-) I ended up moving all pdf with images to toplevel (quick and
dirty).

Will have a look as soon as I find the time.

Thanks Dave
thorsten