Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by "Zowalla, Richard" <ri...@hs-heilbronn.de> on 2020/11/28 10:48:10 UTC

Java 11, Corba Dependencies & Questions related to the build itself

Hi all,

I was yesterday working on TOMEE-2324 in order to prepare the code base
to be build with Java 11, which is currently impossible as CORBA-
related dependencies were removed. We had a discussion on this on the mailing list a few months ago [1].

First, I went the road doing bytecode generation at build-time [2],
which works in principle but has some drawbacks related to reflection
access in production code as @rmannibucau identified in [2].

For this reason, I went another way on the road following the
suggestions. The idea in short: (1) Creating a SPI as abstraction layer
of the CORBA-related API classes, (2) keep it in SystemInstance, (3)
Use the SPI instead of reflection to access the related classes, (4)
register a concrete implementation via openejb event observers.

I have prepared a draft PR [3], which contains some open questions.
Would be happy, if someone could have a look at it and drop some
feedback, thoughts or answers related to my open questions.

The work on [3] lead to a full build using "mvn clean install -Pall-
adapters" as described in the README.

Question 1: Is this the correct way to conduct a full build including
all tests or should I rather use "mvn clean install" to validate my
changes?

Nevertheless, while doing this, I encountered serveral
ClassNotFoundExceptions (which are also present on the current Master
branch) related to a missing "cxf-rt-rs-sse" dependency and one issue
related to EclipseLink 2.7.4 in the tests of the examples. I tried to
fix this in [4], which looked quite good until it failed with four
embedded bval tck tests. I dropped the build output in a gist [5].

Question 2: Can someone point me to a location where documentation is
provided on how to run / debug this (embedded) bval tck tests? Or are
they known to fail?

Any feedback or answers are very welcome - have already learned a lot
about TomEE internals yesterday :D

Thanks in advance,
Richard Z.

[1] https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@tomee.apache.org/msg14097.html
[2] https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/713
[3] https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/721
[4] https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/723
[5] https://gist.github.com/rzo1/50df989f7fe3c65b3c5482679261e42d

Re: Java 11, Corba Dependencies & Questions related to the build itself

Posted by Jean-Louis Monteiro <jl...@tomitribe.com>.
On the TCK thing, I just sent a status, hopefully it helps.
For the mailing lists. I'll gather that for you and let you know
--
Jean-Louis Monteiro
http://twitter.com/jlouismonteiro

Posted by "Zowalla, Richard" <ri...@hs-heilbronn.de>.