Posted to l10n@openoffice.apache.org by Tal Daniel <ta...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/27 15:07:05 UTC

[HEB] [VOTE] Translating "database"

I see Database was translated into מסד-נתונים which is an archaic
translation (~160 occurrences).
I recommend to use בסיס-נתונים. Do you agree with this?

Re: [HEB] [VOTE] Translating "database"

Posted by Yaron Shahrabani <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tal,
As a former Information Systems students I used מסד rather than בסיס and
most of my friends and lecturers did so also.

Nice pun ☺

I don't use it quite often these days but I still haven't heard nobody say
בסיס נתונים although this is the preferred form on Wikipedia.
Also if you'll take a closer look at the word בסיס it usually means a
military base (אני בבסיס) rather than anything technological.

Google contest shows that מסד נתונים is used more than בסיס נתונים (it's
160 vs 154 IIRC).

Kind regards,

Yaron Shahrabani

<Hebrew translator>