Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by David Blevins <db...@tomitribe.com> on 2023/02/01 01:47:22 UTC

Jakarta EE 10 Web Profile TCK status

All,

I’ve been fighting with the getting the latest TCK for a while now and from the looks of it there are significant changes not just to the standalone TCKs but to the Platform/WebProfile TCK as well.

The initial results of the EE 10 TCK have us at about 44% passing.

 -  https://tck.work/tomee/build?id=1675138139831

The system that does the running is somewhat complex: it’ll break up the TCK into 1400 jobs and run them over 30 instances in AWS, aggregating the result.  When things fail this significantly, your first instinct is to blame the setup.  I went down that path for longer than I care to admit before finally saying enough and taking a different approach.

I setup two additional builds to rule out all the variables:

 - TomEE 10 against the Jakarta EE 9.1 TCK: https://tck.work/tomee/build?id=1675184652674
 - TomEE 9.0 final against the Jakarta EE 10 TCK: https://tck.work/tomee/build?id=1675183489942

Both TomEE 9 and 10 look great against the EE 9.1 TCK — this is expected as we’ve intentionally not changed the main branch.  Both TomEE 9 and 10 fail quite a lot of tests of the EE 10 TCK.

My assumption is this the setup of the EE 10 TCK was significantly changed and requires some rework.

Certainly, I’ll keep poking at that, but at this stage I do think it’s also ready for more hands and eyes.  If you want to take a look, the more the merrier.

Long term, I think running TomEE 10 against the Jakarta EE 9.1 TCK is actually a really good idea so we can spot backwards compatibility issues.  Unfortunately, there are some between Jakarta EE 9.1 and Jakarta EE 10.  As well, people have been busy bees removing tests we still need, particularly for EJB as most of it is now entirely optional.

Anyway, that’s the latest latest.

-David