Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org> on 2009/03/05 21:59:11 UTC

Re: [important] developers need to assist each other

On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 18:48 +1100, David Crossley wrote:
> However, recently i notice that people are not being
> answered on the dev list. For example both Tim and Thorsten
> have issues that need assistance.

I did not found time to answer this mail till now.
Thank you David for your good intention.

Actually only some quite specific mails from me have not found
any answers but I understand this.

I hope that people will give me support (as they always did) when
I shortly will merge back the dispatcher rewrite and volunteer to
get a long overdue forrest 0.9 release out.

I would love to help to port forrest to cocoon 2.2 again since it solves
some common integration problems quite nicely. However due to time constrains
I cannot take the lead on this but I have ported some forrest components
to cocoon 2.2 blocks a while ago and it is not hard to port the rest.
It only takes up lots of time for a single person to move the whole code
to blocks.

> Remember that anyone who is subscribed to this
> dev mail list should assist. Not just ASF committers.

That is so true.

salu2
Open Source <consulting, training and solutions>

Re: murmurs of a release

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.
On Thu, 2009-03-19 at 00:03 +0000, Ross Gardler wrote:
> 2009/3/18 David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>:
> > Gavin wrote:
> >> Thorsten Scherler

> Go Thorsten!!!!
>
> If you want to get together at ApacheCon and force me to do some
> testing I'd be happy to do so (if you can get hold of me for long
> enough). At present Tuesday AM is the only time I have pretty free in
> Hackathon time.

jeje, would be very nice to get a release out while in Amsterdam, will
see you there and we make the planing over a heinecken. ;)

salu2

de la Información, S.A.U. (SADESI)

Re: murmurs of a release

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
2009/3/18 David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>:
> Gavin wrote:
>> Thorsten Scherler
>> >
>> > I hope that people will give me support (as they always did) when
>> > I shortly will merge back the dispatcher rewrite and volunteer to
>> > get a long overdue forrest 0.9 release out.

Go Thorsten!!!!

If you want to get together at ApacheCon and force me to do some
testing I'd be happy to do so (if you can get hold of me for long
enough). At present Tuesday AM is the only time I have pretty free in
Hackathon time.

Failing to "trap" me at ApacheCon will probably mean I don't do any
testing. I don't have the cycles right now.

Ross

murmurs of a release

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Gavin wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler
> >
> > I hope that people will give me support (as they always did) when
> > I shortly will merge back the dispatcher rewrite and volunteer to
> > get a long overdue forrest 0.9 release out.
>
> That would be good. I'm afraid I have not looked at your branch. Of course I will when it gets into trunk as that???s what I tend to work on. I will also try to test the branch out on Windows before the merger.
>
> When are you planning on doing this ?

Is there some overview of what is involved in merging
the disptacher? What i wonder about is that our current
demos on the zone use the "dispatcher" in
whiteboard/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.internal.dispatcher
and i don't understand how that relates to
whiteboard/dispatcher/
and then what the difference is with the new branch.

Is this also about making dispatcher the default instead of skins?
If so, there would need to be a large docs effort.
Release would be easier if we left that phase until later.

> I have only ever know David to perform a release, I would have thought he would need to be around for a release whether being RM or not, at least until someone else has done it.

No, i don't need to be. Hopefully i have left sufficient notes
after last time. See the doc [1] below and see the mail archives
leading up to the last release.

Before me it was Jeff. Thankfully when i first did it there
were some basic notes from him. I worked out how to do it by
looking at other project's releases, e.g. Cocoon-2.1, HTTP Server,
and the great notes from Stefan and others.

Our Forrest notes have evolved. I needed to refer to them for every
release and refine them every time. Ferdinand helped to expand
the documentation.
[1] http://forrest.apache.org/procedures/release/How_to_release.html

Each time we have managed to streamline the process a little more.

Whoever takes on the Release Manager task, beware.
Every project's release notes advise their RM to allocate
a lot of time.

> In fact, I'd go as far to say we need many people around for a release, the lists are quiet currently, all the main contributors of the past releases are very busy these days.
>
> In other words, I'm not sure who else will be around if a release were to happen soon.

Doing such co-ordination is one of the early tasks for the RM.

-David

RE: [important] developers need to assist each other

Posted by Gavin <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

I see, so if a few folks were to do it, how long are we talking about, a weekend, a week, a Forrest Friday ?

You see, I am no really cluey on Cocoon much, with some how-to Im sure I could help though.

Gav...

Posted by Gavin <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

Excellent, I'll be around too (fwiw).

> I have several problems to solve with my own site, that is why I am not
> very verbose at the moment :
>
>     * odt plugin does not manage pictures as it should, I think this is
>       due to a change in the file format since the 3.0.1, but I have to
>       investigate

Remind me, which ODT plugin do you use ? the input.odt ?

Just to remind, I will be merging the two OpenOffice/OOo output plugins, I
said I would last week, but ran out of time, I'll try and do that this
weekend.

>     * php generation does work any more since the new coccoon version...

Hmm, why hasn’t that come up before I wonder, there has been a couple of PHP
related posts recently, maybe they were 0.8.

Gav...

Problem with odt input plugin

Posted by Cyriaque Dupoirieux <cy...@pco-innovation.com>.
[Original Subject was : RE: [important] developers need to assist each
other]

I use the org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.odt...

But with the latest test I have done, the problems I have occur only
during the pdf generation.

Something like :

ERROR - I/O error while loading image: null
ERROR - Image not found:
cocoon://samples/samples/openDocumentEmbeddedImages/zip-firefox.odt/file-Pictures/100000000000011C0000004A32685BF6.png

And the image is not in samples/samples but samples...

I have to look at what is the intermediate format generated by the plugin...

Salutations,
Cyriaque,

Posted by Cyriaque Dupoirieux <cy...@pco-innovation.com>.
le 05/03/2009 21:59 Thorsten Scherler a écrit :
> On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 18:48 +1100, David Crossley wrote:
>
>> However, recently i notice that people are not being
>> answered on the dev list. For example both Tim and Thorsten
>> have issues that need assistance.
>>

> I did not found time to answer this mail till now.
> Thank you David for your good intention.
>
> Actually only some quite specific mails from me have not found
> any answers but I understand this.
>
> I hope that people will give me support (as they always did) when
> I shortly will merge back the dispatcher rewrite and volunteer to
> get a long overdue forrest 0.9 release out.

I really would like to help in that task.
I have several problems to solve with my own site, that is why I am not
very verbose at the moment :

    * odt plugin does not manage pictures as it should, I think this is
      due to a change in the file format since the 3.0.1, but I have to
      invetigate

--
Salutations,
Cyriaque