Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Brian Millett <bm...@gmail.com> on 2006/10/13 20:54:00 UTC

geronimo 1.1.1 lite

Hello,
I've downloaded and installed the geronimo-tomcat-minimal-1.1.1.  Ran
the bin/startup.sh and I have a nice working geronimo, or so it seems.
Looks like all of the documentations on how to get started are about the
full version.  So I have a few questions:

1) There is no deploy directory, so to deploy do I need to run the
command line with a war file?
2) What if I already have a nice working webapps dir from tomcat 5.5.17.
Can I just drop that in someplace and have it served up?
3) Console??  We don't need no stinking console!!  But it would be
really nice to have a console to add what ever piece is missing.  I
thought that that was the purpose of the "little-g" was to start light,
then add as you go.
4) Should I be able to configure tomcat?  All I see is
var/catalina/conf/web.xml, no server.xml??  I guess that will be the
geronimo xml files, but all I see is:
[bpm]$ find . | egrep \.xml$
./var/catalina/conf/web.xml
./var/catalina/ROOT/WEB-INF/web.xml
./var/config/config.xml

and the var/config/config.xml states
<!-- ======================================================== -->
<!-- Warning - This XML file is re-generated by Geronimo when -->
<!-- changes are made to Geronimo's configuration, therefore  -->
<!-- any comments added to this file will be lost.            -->
<!-- Do not edit this file while Geronimo is running.         -->
<!-- ======================================================== -->

but there is no way to configure geronimo while it is running.

Sorry, but as you can see I am very confused.  Any help would be
appriciated.

Thanks.
--
Brian Millett - [ Sheridan and Maynard, "A Distant Star"]
"The adventure is out there, Jack. Man has to go meet it." 'Well,

Re: geronimo 1.1.1 lite

Posted by Brian Millett <bm...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 2006-10-13 at 16:11 -0400, Aaron Mulder wrote:
> You can use the command-line deploy tool to add new features to the
> minimal installation ("Little G").  We've been a little delinquent in
> setting up the metadata files that describe each incremental upgrade
> that should be available, so your help would be appreciated in helping
> us establish exactly what kind of upgrades you'd like to see.
>
>  - We can offer the hot deploy service as an add-on, which will add
> the deploy/ directory so you don't have to use the command-line deploy
> tool
>  - We can let you add things like JMS or EJB individually
>  - We can't get the console working in Little G 1.x due to limitations
> in our Pluto integration, but we're hoping to have a modular console
> in Geronimo 1.2 that will let you install only the console screens for
> the features you have installed
>
> Right now, if you want to change e.g. the web ports used by Tomcat in
> Little G out of the box, you should edit var/config/config.xml while
> the server is not running, and then the settings will take effect next
> time the server starts.

Ok, I guess the first item that might help is what is the default
location for deployed webapps?  I guess I could deploy, say the
jsp-examples, and look to see where it is located, but for the little-g
that could be documented somewhere.

The reason I am asking these questions is that I have a client who has a
large tomcat installation.  They've realized that they need several of
the tools/capabilities that an app server will give them.  They are
looking at jboss, websphere and geronimo.  They do not want all of the
baggage that goes with a full blown app server.  They just do not need
it.  When I heard of little-g at apachecon, I thought "this is perfect!"
So I'm thinking how I can go back and show them how to use little-g in a
nice grow as you need it environment.  Right now I see that they need to
redeploy all 200+ war files by hand and then do a lot of testing to make
sure nothing got changed.  I was hoping that they could take the
existing appBase for tomcat and just drop it into (or replace) the
default appBase of geronimo/tomcat and go for it.  But I do not find
where anything like an appBase is defined.

I'll be the first to say that I need to study what the differences
between standalone tomcat and geronimo/tomcat are and how to migrate
from one to the other.

You did a very nice job on your presentation about plugins at apachecon.

Thanks.
--
Brian Millett - [ Garibaldi and Dr. Franklin, "Hunter, Prey"]
"I don't believe anybody."

Re: geronimo 1.1.1 lite

Posted by Jason Warner <ja...@gmail.com>.
Adding new features can be done using the install-plugin option for the
deploy tool.  Directions on how to use this tool for v1.1.1, including the
install-plugin option, can be found here:
http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC11/deployer-tool.html

You can obtain the administration console plugin from both
www.geronimoplugincentral.org and www.geronimoplugins.org

Hope this helps!

~Jason Warner

Re: geronimo 1.1.1 lite

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
I recommend starting with geronimo trunk, or the (hopefully) soon to
be released 2.1.  Check out the project from svn and build it using
maven.  This will set up your local maven repository to be a geronimo
plugin repository.

To add plugins to a small geronimo server, such as geronimo-framework:

1. unpack geronimo-framework-2.1-SNAPSHOT-bin.tar.gz (or zip) in a
convenient place.
2. in one console window start it using ./bin/gsh geronimo/start-server
3. in another console window (also in ${geronimo.home) run ./bin/gsh
deploy/list-plugins
Pick the local maven repo (its the only one shown)
This will list all the plugins in the local maven repo; pick the ones
you want (for instance the base console).

If you use the car-maven-plugin to "predeploy" your apps to geronimo
your apps will be in your local g. repo as plugins as well, so you
can use this procedure to include them in a server.

To extract a server containing a set of plugins from an existing server:

1. start the existing server
2. in a separate console window run for example
  ./bin/gsh  deploy/assemble -g org.foo -a test -v 1.0-SNAPSHOT

where org.foo is the groupId you want for your server
test is the artifactId
1.0-SNAPSHOT is the version

Pick the plugins you want and the server will be assembled in var/
temp.  You must include the " Geronimo Configs :: Boilerplate (2.1-
SNAPSHOT)" plugin which is under Geronimo Core.

The assemble feature is new today so please let us know of any bugs.

thanks
david jencks

Re: geronimo 1.1.1 lite

Posted by ak345 <ak...@hotmail.com>.