Posted to agent@nutch.apache.org by Kirk Gillock <pk...@isara.org> on 2009/12/05 15:29:20 UTC

HTTP Header problem

Hi fellow Nutch users.

Long time crawler, first time poster. :-)

We're 23m pages into a 100m page crawl and our preliminary tests have
shown that a lot of pages contain our agent name, description, etc., in
their page content. Meaning, sites that have a script which show http
headers (typically to show browser information) causes the Nutch crawler
to store its own header information within the content of that page. So
when we search our index for "Isara" (our agent name) we get thousands
of results and they all have "Isara/Isara-1.0 (A non-profit search
engine benefiting charity.; http://www.isara.org; e-mail@removed.org",
which is the content of our nutch-default.xml file: http.agent.name,
http.agent.description, http.agent.url, http.agent.email, and
http.agent.version .

I've searched around and haven't found any information on how to stop
this from happening. Is there a solution and, if so, will it mean we
need to recrawl all those pages again or can we filter the current
database? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for developing such an important open-source application,
Kirk Gillock
Isara Charity Foundation
Nong Khai, Thailand
http://www.isara.org

Re: HTTP Header problem

Posted by Kirk Gillock <pk...@isara.org>.
Thank you for the quick reply, Dennis. It was worth a shot. :-)

People are not typically searching for our own name on our own site but,
in case it did happen, we wanted to have the results be as clean as
possible. For our next crawls we'll change the agent name and version to
something else.

Thanks again,
Kirk

Re: HTTP Header problem