Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com> on 2007/01/13 18:26:57 UTC

Can we attach workEfforts to sales orders?

I noticed that the only way workEfforts are attached to sales orders are when a customer confirms
an order.

Is there a way to attach workEfforts or production runs to sales orders?

Jonathon

Re: Can we attach workEfforts to sales orders?

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
> Does the mailing list generally take a break in the weekends? Sorry, dumb question. I'm a
> workaholic. Lazy workaholic. Maybe schizophrenic too, come to think of it.
>
> Jonathon

Depends on weekends ;o)

Jacques

Re: Can we attach workEfforts to sales orders?

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
David,

> Oh yeah, how could I have missed that? It obviously implies that you
> have looked into details such as the WorkOrderItemFulfillment entity and
> any artifacts that might be based on it.

Sorry. :/ Was just frustrated that there's no insightful, incisive, "leap from where I left off"
answers from the mailing list so far. Weekend. Understandable.

> Back to being serious: yes, I do my best to guess at what people are
> trying to ask because there is often a tendency to leave out details. I
> think sometimes people leave out details assuming others will know what
> they are talking about, or to try to not appear to be stating the
> obvious. Once you get to around 700 tables and 600,000 lines of fairly
> dense artifacts in a system, as much detail as possible is not just
> helpful, it's critical!
>
> I'll admit freely that sometimes when I answer questions I'll try to use
> the "teach to fish" approach versus the "give a fish" approach. My
> message to you was along these lines as most of the time you can get far
> more information far more quickly doing something like what I
> recommended than by asking on the mailing list.
>
> If I was wrong to interpret that you were asking a fairly general
> question, I apologize and invite you to ask a more specific question,
> then hopefully I or someone else will be able to offer a more fitting
> answer.

Sorry again. You meant well.

I do often leave out details, guilty as charged, thinking that I could talk to the mailing list as
if they've dug into OFBiz as much as I have (and I believe many have dug in much more). I just
didn't realize it's so hard to navigate through 700 tables and 600,000 lines. Or rather, I didn't
realize that not many people dive through 600,00 lines of codes to pinpoint merely 50 lines (or in
my lazy ass case, 5-10) of codes. That's what I do, being so incredibly "lazy", that was my job
too, to be lazy like that. :) Anyway, enough about my job or lazy past.

I'll fish, I promise you. Thanks for your guidance.

As for what my specific question was, I'd just like to know if anyone's linked entity OrderItem
with entity WorkEffort outside of the confirmOrder service (confirm order upon checkout at
storefront). If not, I'd like someone to tell me if it's advisable to allow for such a link, say
from inside the ShowProductionRun screen (sorry, my convention here is to state the servlet action
for lack of a better screen name) or the EditOrderItems screen (but the former is preferable).
Also, I'd like someone to tell me if I'll be breaking anything by allowing for such a link.

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On Jan 13, 2007, at 7:57 PM, Jonathon -- Improov wrote:

> David,
>
> I did do the search. Yes, I know the "Production Run to Order Item
> link" has to do with entity WorkOrderItemFulfillment. Which is why
> I mentioned that I "noticed that the only way workEfforts are
> attached to sales orders are when a customer confirms an order". I
> just was so tired I didn't complete that sentence. I meant to tie
> workEffort to sales order items, not sales orders. I made the
> corrections in my 2nd (or 3rd) post stating "consider that I meant
> 'sales order items' when I say 'sales orders'".
>
> Sorry to have split the post into 3 parts like that. Confusing. I
> was squeezing the last ounces of energy before I fell asleep. Even
> the subject title is wrong. Should be "Can we link WorkEffort to
> sales order items?".

Oh yeah, how could I have missed that? It obviously implies that you
have looked into details such as the WorkOrderItemFulfillment entity
and any artifacts that might be based on it.

> David, I'm just curious, and this is no reflection on your part at
> all. Do you (or do you even have time) to look through a poster's
> posts to get a feel for where the poster is coming from before
> responding in the right context? Not that you should have any
> obligation to at all! You certainly sound very very busy. I'm just
> curious.

Back to being serious: yes, I do my best to guess at what people are
trying to ask because there is often a tendency to leave out details.
I think sometimes people leave out details assuming others will know
what they are talking about, or to try to not appear to be stating
the obvious. Once you get to around 700 tables and 600,000 lines of
fairly dense artifacts in a system, as much detail as possible is not
just helpful, it's critical!

I'll admit freely that sometimes when I answer questions I'll try to
use the "teach to fish" approach versus the "give a fish" approach.
My message to you was along these lines as most of the time you can
get far more information far more quickly doing something like what I
recommended than by asking on the mailing list.

If I was wrong to interpret that you were asking a fairly general
question, I apologize and invite you to ask a more specific question,
then hopefully I or someone else will be able to offer a more fitting
answer.

-David

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
David,

I did do the search. Yes, I know the "Production Run to Order Item link" has to do with entity
WorkOrderItemFulfillment. Which is why I mentioned that I "noticed that the only way workEfforts
are attached to sales orders are when a customer confirms an order". I just was so tired I didn't
complete that sentence. I meant to tie workEffort to sales order items, not sales orders. I made
the corrections in my 2nd (or 3rd) post stating "consider that I meant 'sales order items' when I
say 'sales orders'".

Sorry to have split the post into 3 parts like that. Confusing. I was squeezing the last ounces of
energy before I fell asleep. Even the subject title is wrong. Should be "Can we link WorkEffort to
sales order items?".

Let me clarify my post(s) in this thread.

I know for a fact that the only place a WorkOrderItemFulfillment is created is when a customer
(from storefront) confirms and order (confirmOrder service). I haven't confirmed for what types of
products OFBiz will create a WorkOrderItemFulfillment entry. But I know enough for now, knowing
that a WorkOrderItemFulfillment entry is not created elsewhere. Was hoping someone would say "it's
not there! and here's how I'd recommend extending OFiz...".

(Gee, WorkOrderItemFulfillment is such a mouthful. If not for Emacs auto-complete, I'd be so...
finger-tied?)

Can someone who's dealt with manufacturing industries tell me whether it's correct to link
WorkEffort to OrderItem? (Phew, at least that's easier than WorkOrderItemFulfillment).

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
Sorry, correction.