Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Vijayendra Yadav <co...@gmail.com> on 2021/04/07 18:02:55 UTC

FLINK Kinesis consumer Checkpointing data loss

Hi Team,

We are trying to make sure we are not losing data when KINESIS Consumer is
down.

Kinesis streaming Job which has following checkpointing properties:

*// checkpoint every X msecs
env.enableCheckpointing(Conf.getFlinkCheckpointInterval());*

*// enable externalized checkpoints which are retained after job
cancellation
env.getCheckpointConfig().enableExternalizedCheckpoints(
CheckpointConfig.ExternalizedCheckpointCleanup.RETAIN_ON_CANCELLATION
  );// allow job recovery fallback to checkpoint when there is a more
recent savepoint
env.getCheckpointConfig().setPreferCheckpointForRecovery(Conf.isFlinkCheckpointPreferCheckPoint());
//
enables the experimental unaligned checkpoints
env.getCheckpointConfig().enableUnalignedCheckpoints();*

*//checkpointpath*
*        env.setStateBackend(new
FsStateBackend(Conf.getFlinkCheckPointPath(), true));*

1) We killed the Kinesis Job
2) Sent messages to KDS while Consumer was down.
3) Restarted Flink Consumer, *messages which were sent during the Consumer
down period, never ingested (data loss).*
4) Re-sent messages to KDS while the consumer was still up. Messages did
ingest fine.

*How can I avoid data loss for #3 ??*

From Logs:

*2021-04-07 12:15:49,161 INFO  org.apache.flink.runtime.jobmaster.JobMaster
                 - Using application-defined state backend: File State
Backend (checkpoints: 's3://bucket-xx/flink/checkpoint/iv', savepoints:
'null', asynchronous: TRUE, fileStateThreshold: -1)*

*2021-04-07 12:16:02,343 INFO
 org.apache.flink.runtime.checkpoint.CheckpointCoordinator     - Completed
checkpoint 1 for job 8943d16e22b8aaf65d6b9e2b8bd54113 (3564 bytes in 591
ms).2021-04-07 12:16:11,951 INFO
 org.apache.flink.runtime.checkpoint.CheckpointCoordinator     - Triggering
checkpoint 2 (type=CHECKPOINT) @ 1617797771751 for job
8943d16e22b8aaf65d6b9e2b8bd54113.2021-04-07 12:16:12,483 INFO
 org.apache.flink.runtime.checkpoint.CheckpointCoordinator     - Completed
checkpoint 2 for job 8943d16e22b8aaf65d6b9e2b8bd54113 (3564 bytes in 411
ms).*

Thanks,
Vijay

Re: FLINK Kinesis consumer Checkpointing data loss

Posted by Vijayendra Yadav <co...@gmail.com>.
Thank You it helped.

Posted by Arvid Heise <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi Vijay,