Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Katherine Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net> on 2012/09/14 00:24:32 UTC

Is there value in closing bugs vs just resolving?

I noticed in backport efforts or Jira Maintenance that dealing with
closed bugs is kind of a pain.  In order to just add a label, fix a
component or an affects version, you have to reopen it, do the operation
and then re-resolve the issue as three separate operations. When doing
bulk update the results of the query being used often change once the
issues are reopened meaning manual lists to keep track.

Is there real value in closing bugs vs just resolving?    If not it
would be great to just  leave issues  resolved but unclosed.

Thanks

Kathey

Re: Is there value in closing bugs vs just resolving?

Posted by Dag Wanvik <da...@oracle.com>.

On 14.09.2012 01:36, Katherine Marsden wrote:
> On 9/13/2012 3:49 PM, Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
>> I thought the idea was that resolving is was done by the person who
>> worked the issue, the closing was to be done by the person who logged
>> the issue, to indicate agreement with the resolution.
> Yes, does that have any reporting value vs just adding a comment? If
> so, I suppose the folks resolving the issue could just make a note to
> add the label when resolving for issues that are not suitable for
> backport as well as make a note to check the other pertinent
> information  so reopens  won't be as necessary.

1) Typically, I only keep an issue at resolved (as opposed to closed) in
order to indicate I am still considering further backports (iff I filed
the issue myself).
2) For bugs reported by others, I do leave them resolved for the other
party to close when issue is deemed solved: I don't ask for it to be
closed until I'm done considering backports. (Note: that doesn't mean my
issue couldn't be backported further, just that I don't have an
inclination to do it.. ;-)

For the first case, I guess a final comment on backports (and/or current
flag blocking further backports) would suffice.

For the second case, not sure.. I think it does have some value vs
users. It seems the root cause here is that the closed state forbids
editing. I guess we won't be able to lift this across all projects, even
if technically feasible in JIRA.

Hmm.. it gets messy. Could we build a tool to wrap the operations we
want to perform in reopen-op-close? ;-)

Dag

Posted by Katherine Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.

Posted by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 3:24 PM, Katherine Marsden
<km...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I noticed in backport efforts or Jira Maintenance that dealing with closed
> bugs is kind of a pain.  In order to just add a label, fix a component or an
> affects version, you have to reopen it, do the operation and then re-resolve
> the issue as three separate operations. When doing bulk update the results
> of the query being used often change once the issues are reopened meaning
> manual lists to keep track.
>
> Is there real value in closing bugs vs just resolving?    If not it would be
> great to just  leave issues  resolved but unclosed.
>
> Thanks
>
> Kathey

I thought the idea was that resolving is was done by the person who
worked the issue, the closing was to be done by the person who logged
the issue, to indicate agreement with the resolution.

Myrna