Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org> on 2020/01/30 13:25:00 UTC

OFBiz contributions & Github Pull Requests

Hi All,

Recently we saw some postings in various threads how to deal with commits
from contributors coming via pull requests in Github.
If I understand it correctly, the issue we're dealing with has to do with
the commit message (as defined in
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/OFBiz+commit+message+template
).
After a code contribution has been accepted by a committer, this commit
message appears in:

   1. the OFBiz repo
   2. a posting to the commit@ mailing list
   3. in the referenced JIRA ticket (as a comment, and in the commit
   section, see e.g. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-10954)

Elements of the commit message are also used in the regularly occurring
blog posts of the project.

With our repositories available via Github, we can expect that more and
more contributors work within their local clones, and publish their code
changes (commits) in their own public forks on Github and from there issue
a pull request to get these contributions evaluated by community members
and when good incorporated into the OFBiz repositories.

A pull request can contain one or more commits (from the contributor - or
in git parlance: the author).

So, when the commit message by the contributor (author) of each of his
commits is formatted in accordance with the commit-message template there
is nothing that stands in the way to take it to the next step. Which is the
evaluation of the contribution by other community members.

Is my assessment so far correct?

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

*Apache OFBiz <https://ofbiz.apache.org>, contributor (without privileges)
since 2008*

Re: OFBiz contributions & Github Pull Requests

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.
FWIW: I have started a related WIP page in confluence, to capture all
relating aspects/issues. See
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=145724011

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thank you Pierre and Daniel,

I have to reviewed things in detail, but the Github PR templates could be a workflow changer

Jacques

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.
Thanks Daniel,

Posted by Daniel Watford <da...@foomoo.co.uk>.
Hello Pierre,

Its not something I've worked with before, but git commit message templates
might help here.

From a quick scan of the git documentation it seems that the

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.
My preference is to lean on GitHub because it is an accepted and common way
for ASF projects to get contributions and because it is very popular among
contributors.
There are still many details (including the one about PR mentioned by
Michael) to fine tune but I am confident that we will find a good solution
for them.

Jacopo

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.
Currently, a change to the codebase and contributed through a PullRequest
(and patch files too) need to be manually reviewed (vetted) and tested by
privileged contributors. Fortunately with PullRequests, part of the vetting
is done through the integration of Sonarcloud (see the comment in the PR,
e.g. https://github.com/apache/ofbiz-framework/pull/14).

Testing of a PR (to see whether it breaks the code, passes the integration
tests) can also be done before a privileged contributor does his thing. The
PullRequest can be checked out by the CI and subsequently build the
check-out and run the integration tests. And the result of such can be
added as a comment to the PR.

Then either the author reworks his contribution (when SonarCloud quality
gates weren't passed, or build or test flaws appears), or the privileged
contributor merges the commit into the appropriate branch(es).

For the project, this would mean a workload reduction, and an opportunity
(for everyone) to focus on on the more important stuff.

Best regards,

Pierre Smits
*Proud* *contributor* (but without privileges)* of* Apache OFBiz
<https://ofbiz.apache.org/>, since 2008

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.
Currently, notifications regarding a PullRequest are only sent to a
selected few in our community, nor do they appear to be referenced in the
appropriate ticket(s). This is not a good thing as it deprives the rest of
the community of the opportunity to collaborate.

We should work to get this improved. Who will take the lead (together with
INFRA, if need be)?

Best regards,

Pierre Smits
*Proud* *contributor* (but without privileges)* of* Apache OFBiz
<https://ofbiz.apache.org/>, since 2008

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thanks Daniel,

Posted by Daniel Watford <da...@foomoo.co.uk>.
Hi Michael,

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
Hi Nicolas,

Posted by Nicolas Malin <ni...@nereide.fr>.
Hi,

      Author:     Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

In this thread we discussed improvements to the Contributing via Git and
Github page in Confluence (see [1]). Some were then adamant that the page
should have the WIP status referenced in the subject/title.

However, since then the page hasn't changed. If nothing comes forward in
the coming days, I will remove the WIP status from the subject/title. After
that, contributors can continue to improve the page, like they can improve
any other page that doesn't have the WIP status in the subject/title

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Contributing+via+Git+and+Github+-+WIP
Met vriendelijke groet,

Pierre Smits
*Proud* *contributor** of* Apache OFBiz <https://ofbiz.apache.org/> since
2008 (without privileges)

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.
@Michal,

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.
Hi All,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
+1

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.
Hi Nicolas,

Posted by Nicolas Malin <ni...@nereide.fr>.
Hi,

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.
One most important +1 for referencing Github over Gitbox is that Pull
Requests are not synced into git-box. Therefore committers can't check that
out that PR from the gitbox repo  into a test branch in their local clone.
When preferring gitbox over Github the project is - in essence - saying: if
you (non-privileged contributor) want a privileged contributor to review
and merge your commits into a branch of the official repository you need to
attach patch files, because those without the GitHub location in their
local setup won't see your pull request and thus can't check it out via git.

Another +1 for referencing Github over Gitbox is that a sends a unified
message to all community members (privileged and non-privileged alike) on
what to work with. Furthermore, the current howto for committers (
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Git+for+committers) is
outdated and still references svn, suggesting that svn is still in play,
and keeps the project limping on 2 legs.

We have to keep in mind that many within the greater ASF community and (I
presume those within) the Github organisation regard repositories under the
Apache flag (https://github.com/apache) as official repositories of the
Apache projects.

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

*Apache OFBiz <https://ofbiz.apache.org>, contributor (without privileges)
since 2008*

On Sat, Feb 8, 2020 at 11:20 AM Jacques Le Roux <

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.
Hi All,

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nicolas Malin <ni...@nereide.fr>.
Nice thread and sharing :)

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.
Dealing with pull requests in your local git environment can be done in an
easy way, by adding following line to the OFBiz remotes:

fetch = +refs/pull/*/head:refs/remotes/origin/pr/*

preferably before the standard fetch line (fetch =
+refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*).

This way you can do/have a local checkout for evaluation and testing
purposes, before doing an eventual merge into one of the official branches.

Posted by Mathieu Lirzin <ma...@nereide.fr>.

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
 From y experience, if we want to be easy, pull/3 is good others are not.

But please, let's wait investigating Github PR templates before discussing this further

Jacques

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.