Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Jamie <ja...@stimulussoft.com> on 2008/04/24 07:53:51 UTC

MergePolicy Exception

Hi there

I am using the latest version of Lucene and have ten threads indexing
documents. I am getting the following errors appearing on a continual
basis during the indexing process:

Exception in thread "Thread-569"
org.apache.lucene.index.MergePolicy$MergeException:
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /index/index1/_48.cfs (No such file or
directory)
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.ConcurrentMergeScheduler$MergeThread.run(ConcurrentMergeScheduler.java:271)
Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /index/index1/_48.cfs (No such
file or directory)
        at java.io.RandomAccessFile.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory$FSIndexInput$Descriptor.<init>(FSDirectory.java:506)
        at
org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory$FSIndexInput.<init>(FSDirectory.java:536)
        at
org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory.openInput(FSDirectory.java:445)
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.CompoundFileReader.<init>(CompoundFileReader.java:70)
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentReader.initialize(SegmentReader.java:277)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentReader.get(SegmentReader.java:262)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentReader.get(SegmentReader.java:221)
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.mergeMiddle(IndexWriter.java:3099)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.merge(IndexWriter.java:2834)
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.ConcurrentMergeScheduler$MergeThread.run(ConcurrentMergeScheduler.java:240)

Any idea on what this might be?

Jamie

Re: MergePolicy Exception

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
This is some sort of index corruption.  The merge policy wants to
merge that segment (_48) but it has apparently been deleted from your
index.  Likely if you try to run CheckIndex, optimize, or open a
reader, you'd get a similar exception.

Is this repeatable?  Can you describe your application in more
detail, or post the source fragments that open, add docs, and close
the index?  Were there any prior exceptions before this one?

Was this a single indexing run, or did you close/open the IndexWriter
multiple times?

Mike