Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Brian Demers <bd...@apache.org> on 2023/12/20 00:50:20 UTC

Should license headers use https urls?

Forgive me if this was asked already, I didn't see it in a quick
search of the archives.

The legal policy states[1] that headers should use the the following URL:

Given the general push[2] to use https everywhere, should the official
policy be updated to use the https version of the license URL?
https://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0

NOTE: The former already redirects to the latter

Related, I've seen projects using the `https` version of the URL. Is
that a problem, or is it just a matter of adding an extra `s` to the
policy page [1]

[1] https://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#headers
[2] https://blog.mozilla.org/security/files/2015/05/HTTPS-FAQ.pdf

Re: Should license headers use https urls?

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Dec 25, 2023 at 3:31 AM Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 23, 2023 at 6:17 PM Michael Mior <mm...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > I would disagree about their being no technical difference. Not using HTTPS runs a higher risk of MITM. The connection will get upgraded unless the initial HTTP request isn't intercepted and the attacker decides to serve something different. Whether that is practically a concern is of course another question.
>
> True, but such an attack vector appears to be highly theoretical.

For what it's worth, the Mozilla link the OP originally shared
provided concrete examples of non-theoretical violations of site
integrity due to http instead of https. In the section titled "But
there's nothing secret on my site! Why should I bother with
encryption?", they emphasize that integrity is an important aspect of
https, and of site security, not just the confidentiality of
encryption. The concrete examples emphasize this point.

Also, I didn't contest your previous statement, because it's not
terribly important, but since we're discussing the technical aspects,
I just wanted to point out that it's not true that we serve the
license on the http site. The only thing we serve there at the public
facing http endpoint is a 301 Permanent redirect. We serve the license
*only* on https for any internet-facing endpoint. It's only the
browser's willing behavior on the client side that causes the browser
to choose to "upgrade" the connection to https and view the license
page that we're serving. (I have no idea what's happening within ASF
internals, which could all be http, and only a proxy is used for
https, but I think that whatever is happening internally is less
important than what's internet-facing.)

In any case, I updated my PR to back out the changes to the source
header and kept http the default there, but keep the wording to
mention that https is also acceptable. I'm happy to merge it once I
get a positive approval to do so. While I was there, I noticed that
the page itself uses https to point to the license in the Markdown
file's own "license:" front matter at the top of the page. It doesn't
matter much for the default source header recommended text, but if
anybody still had any concerns that https wasn't acceptable to use to
point to the license, in general, it might be useful to know that the
page maintained by LEGAL was using it.

Posted by Matt Sicker <ma...@musigma.org>.
Plus courts and judges aren’t computers; the exact text of the Apache License (all versions) is readily available for review regardless of MITM attacks.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Michael Mior <mm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Fri, Dec 22, 2023 at 11:31 PM Christopher <ct...@apache.org> wrote:

> Roman, based on your response (and please correct me if I'm wrong), I
> *think* you hold the opinion that either is fine, just as Henri said
> on LEGAL-265, because it's not a legal or technical difference, but
> just a "matter of taste", as you've said, and while you don't
> personally see the value in somebody changing it, you don't really
> care if a project changes their source headers from http to https
> ("-0").
>
> If I'm understanding you correctly, I think what would immediately
> settle the matter is to just have you say that "either is fine in the
> source header" more directly. I don't even think people care whether
> the default source header on that LEGAL page changes or not. They just
> want to know its okay if they use https there and need a direct
> response. I *think* you already hold the opinion that it's fine if
> they want to, but you just need to say it directly for them to accept
> it.
>
> As for my PR, I'd be happy to back out the changes in my PR to the
> default source header, and only keep a change to the note saying that
> either are acceptable.

That sounds like a reasonable next step -- can you please update your PR?

Thanks,
Roman.

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
Thanks! https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-265 is what I was
looking for but couldn't find. The same question was asked there, and
Henri Yandell closed the issue, resolving it with the answer "All the
others are acceptable links"

As to some of the other comments, I think some people are confused
about the difference between changing the LICENSE, vs. merely using
https in the URL of the source header suggested by LEGAL for use
within the ASF that only points to the LICENSE and NOTICE files, but
is not itself the license. The question posed here was only about
whether the link in the source header could be changed, not the
LICENSE itself or its "How to apply" footer. The question about the
source header was asked and answered on LEGAL-265, forming the basis
for updating the tooling in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RAT-212

Posted by Brian Demers <bd...@apache.org>.
Sorry if I'm being daft,