Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jonathan Mast <jh...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/02 16:05:22 UTC

Re: Tomcat Manager sees distribution directories as applications

You're right, I totally forgot to put appBase attributes in my Host
declarations.  However, httpd only lets *.jsp and *.do requests pass on to
Tomcat so I don't have to worry about the security issue.

I'm gonna put appBase attributes into my config and see if that fixes it.

thanks

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Jonathan,

On 11/2/2009 2:37 PM, Jonathan Mast wrote:
> By nightmare I meant complexity.  Currently all my webapps are located in a
> single directory, its flat, it only contains webapps (IE. folders with a
> WEB-INF directory).  I have approximately a dozen Hosts defined across 3
> domain names (and every intention of adding more).  Some Hosts have single
> Contexts, but others have dozens of Contexts defined.

This shouldn't be a problem.

> If each Host must
> have it's own unique appBase for the Manager to work correctly

This is not altogether true. If you want to deploy all of your webapps
individually and explicitly using files in
conf/Catalina/[host]/[context].xml, then you can set all the <Host>
appBase's to the same empty directory if you want. It shouldn't be a
problem as long as you don't put anything in there.

But yes, if you want to be entirely safe, it wouldn't be a bad idea to
create an empty appBase directory for each host. This shouldn't
represent too much of a problem to create empty directories, right?

At any rate, it might be a good idea to request an enhancement in Tomcat
to allow an appBase-less <Host> for just this situation.

> then that
> entails a 3 level structure for my webserver's document root:
> /
> --/webapps
> -----/host_<MY_HOST>
> -------/<MY_CONTEXT>

While this is not strictly necessary, it is "recommended technique". It
will save you from having to put lots of
conf/Catalina/[host]/[context].xml files all over the place, too, since
you can simply auto-deploy them.

> Which means reworking the build scripts for each and every webapp.

Changing the target directory for a build script should be trivial. Is
it not in your deployment process?

> If this is the only way to have the manager work correctly, then I
> guess I'll have to do.

None of this really has anything to do with the Manager app itself,
really. You can choose to deploy or not deploy the Manager into each <Host>.

> I just don't understand why the server.xml cannot be interpreted as
> a logical structure.

I'm not sure I understand your statement, here.

> If I can define a "/blahblah" Context on a docBase of "foobar-webapp" (a
> logical or arbitrary mapping) why can't Contexts be understood as belonging
> to certain arbitrary Hosts, regardless of their filepath?

They can, if you use the "conf/Catalina/[host]/[context].xml"-style
deployment.

- -chris

Re: Tomcat Manager sees distribution directories as applications

Posted by Jonathan Mast <jh...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Chris, I'm now just pointing the appBase to an empty directory and
everything looks great.  A lot easier than reorganizing my server setup.
Although I do agree with everyone that that approach (each Host has it's own
dir) is more *correct* the complexity of it just too much for my
organization at this moment.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Mast <jh...@gmail.com>.
By nightmare I meant complexity.  Currently all my webapps are located in a
single directory, its flat, it only contains webapps (IE. folders with a
WEB-INF directory).  I have approximately a dozen Hosts defined across 3
domain names (and every intention of adding more).  Some Hosts have single
Contexts, but others have dozens of Contexts defined.  If each Host must
have it's own unique appBase for the Manager to work correctly, then that
entails a 3 level structure for my webserver's document root:
/
--/webapps
-----/host_<MY_HOST>
-------/<MY_CONTEXT>

Which means reworking the build scripts for each and every webapp.  If this
is the only way to have the manager work correctly, then I guess I'll have
to do.  I just don't understand why the server.xml cannot be interpreted as
a logical structure.

If I can define a "/blahblah" Context on a docBase of "foobar-webapp" (a
logical or arbitrary mapping) why can't Contexts be understood as belonging
to certain arbitrary Hosts, regardless of their filepath?

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Jonathan Mast [mailto:jhmast.developer@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Tomcat Manager sees distribution directories as
> applications
>
> So you are saying each Host *must* have it's own distinct appBase.
> That sucks, doing that will make my deployment process a nightmare.
> Any way around the problem I described above?

Perhaps you can tell us exactly what you're trying to achieve...

 - Chuck

Re: Tomcat Manager sees distribution directories as applications

Posted by Jonathan Mast <jh...@gmail.com>.
So you are saying each Host *must* have it's own distinct appBase.  That
sucks, doing that will make my deployment process a nightmare.  Any way
around the problem I described above?

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 11:02 AM, Hassan Schroeder <

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Mast <jh...@gmail.com>.
OK I just added the appBase attr to a Host in my server.xml.  It did get rid
of the Tomcat install. folders showing up as webapps, but it isnt' doing
exactly what I thought it would do.  Now everything in my appBase shows up
in my Manager instance as belonging to that Host, when what I want there is
only those directories in my appBase that are referenced by Contexts in my
particular Host.

At least the old (appBase-less) method retained the logical mapping defined
in the Host section.

My reading of the Tomcat config docs seemed to indicate that each Host
should have it's own Manager Context defined as opposed to having a single
Manager instance that can span multiple Hosts.  Is this correct?