Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com> on 2007/11/29 17:57:41 UTC

MyFaces JSF Commons Project

Hey everyone,

I'm going to try to put together a proposal for some items it add to the
jsf commons fairly soon for your purusal.  First off, however, I'd like
some technical information on this project as it may effect how the
project is set up.

1. Which version of JSF will be the minimum for this project?  One of my
proposals involves needing an ExternalContextWrapper and the version of
JSF does make a difference.  I, personally, would like to see this based
off 1.2 but if we need a 1.1 Faces Commons then I would recommend both a
1.1 and a 1.2 branch.

2. What is the minimum JDK we are going to use for this project.  My
preference would be J2SE 5 for the build.  I could even live with making
sure that code can be compiled with J2SE 5 in 1.4 compatibility mode but
I think we need to be able to support generics at the very least.  Of
course if we're basing the commons project off of JSF 1.2, J2SE5 is a
no-brainer.  :)

Re: MyFaces JSF Commons Project

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
On Nov 29, 2007 6:06 PM, Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Nov 29, 2007 5:57 PM, Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hey everyone,
> >
> > I'm going to try to put together a proposal for some items it add to the
> > jsf commons fairly soon for your purusal.  First off, however, I'd like
> > some technical information on this project as it may effect how the
> > project is set up.
> >
> > 1. Which version of JSF will be the minimum for this project?  One of my
> > proposals involves needing an ExternalContextWrapper and the version of
> > JSF does make a difference.  I, personally, would like to see this based
> > off 1.2 but if we need a 1.1 Faces Commons then I would recommend both a
> > 1.1 and a 1.2 branch.
>
> here we go;
> my understanding is, that 1.1 is a must

on the other hand;

this is a "new" project, so when it is based on JSF 1.2 API, it would be OK,
but I think JSF 1.1 is to much used...

But... two versions/trunks/branches are a PITA :-)

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
I'd vote +0 on supporting JSF 1.1
if that does answer your question.

(and in case some guys do need the converters/validators, they can
always fork it)

-m

Posted by Andrew Robinson <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Robinson <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
to make it clear.

I am not saying, that JSF 1.1 API is the ONLY ONE.

Because this is a new project, a JSF 1.2 ONLY *would* make sense...
but... JSF 1.1 is still in use...

Perhaps a second trunk for 1.1-based JSF is a good thing (tm)

-Matthias

Posted by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com>.
We CAN...  But the compile time requirements will be different.  And the
real concern I have is that this commons project is a slave to another
project which means we are at the mercy of the JSF api's.  If they
change, implementations need to change and it may not always be possible
to have both classes exist in the classpath at any given time.
Unfortunately.

The approach we originally took in Trinidad was to commit changes to the
1.1 branch and then upmerge them to the 1.2 branch.  The problem is that
this proved cumbersome and error prone so we've taken recently to a
dual-trunk type system.  The real issue is this.  We are all open source
developers.  Our time, as a result, is limited.  IMO maintaining two
branches hampers new development and innovation.  I know it has in
Trinidad to a large extent because nobody likes making patches to dual
code lines.

Scott

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
I don't think it is a good idea.

-M

Posted by "Glauco P. Gomes" <gl...@yahoo.com.br>.

Posted by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
The current state is not that it is done for JSF 1.1 only.
We just started the two classes with that :-)
The switch to JSF 1.2 is very cheap, since it is via config.

-M

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 for me too.  I think the current JSF commons is already set up for
1.1 though...

Scott

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!
> +1 on JSF 1.2 only
> +0.5 on 1.1 support with JDK 1.5 required on both.
> -1 on 1.1 w/ 1.4

+1 on that view!

Ciao,
Mario

Re: MyFaces JSF Commons Project

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
> the "impl" is little different;
> ConverterTag is deprecated;
> good folks would use ConverterELTag
> (same for validator)

which are generated classes (that depend on a JSF 1.1 TAG or a JSF 1.2 one).
Which means that can be done via param (which is now "hard-coded" in the POM).

-M

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
That looks good.

Posted by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com>.
I guess the other option is to take a more segmented approach (like for
configurators) and rate the minimum requirements for each module
separately.  But I kind of like the idea of not including a bunch of
different jars if we can help it.

Scott

Posted by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com>.
Yeah I agree.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
yes, some APIs have changed;

Posted by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Volker Weber <v....@inexso.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Spencer <pa...@apache.org>.
Scott,

Posted by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Spencer <pa...@apache.org>.
+1 on JSF 1.2 only

Posted by Andrew Robinson <an...@gmail.com>.
I would go for:

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
On Nov 29, 2007 5:57 PM, Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I'm going to try to put together a proposal for some items it add to the
> jsf commons fairly soon for your purusal.  First off, however, I'd like
> some technical information on this project as it may effect how the
> project is set up.
>
> 1. Which version of JSF will be the minimum for this project?  One of my
> proposals involves needing an ExternalContextWrapper and the version of
> JSF does make a difference.  I, personally, would like to see this based
> off 1.2 but if we need a 1.1 Faces Commons then I would recommend both a
> 1.1 and a 1.2 branch.

here we go;
my understanding is, that 1.1 is a must

> 2. What is the minimum JDK we are going to use for this project.  My
> preference would be J2SE 5 for the build.  I could even live with making
> sure that code can be compiled with J2SE 5 in 1.4 compatibility mode but
> I think we need to be able to support generics at the very least.  Of
> course if we're basing the commons project off of JSF 1.2, J2SE5 is a
> no-brainer.  :)

JSF 1.1 => java1.4
JSF 1.2 => JDK5