Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Rory O'Donnell <ro...@oracle.com> on 2016/05/18 09:07:37 UTC

Early Access builds of JDK 9 b118 & JDK 9 with Project Jigsaw, b118 (#4987) are available on java.net

Hi Uwe & Dawid,

Early Access b118 <https://jdk9.java.net/download/> for JDK 9 is
available on java.net, summary of  changes are listed here
<http://www.java.net/download/java/jdk9/changes/jdk-9+118.html>.

Early Access b118 <https://jdk9.java.net/jigsaw/> (#4913) for JDK 9 with
Project Jigsaw is available on java.net.

JDK 9 Build 118 includes a refresh of the module system.

There are several changes in this update, JDK 9 b118 has the updated
policy for root modules described
in JEP 261 [1]. This means that java.corba and the 6 EE modules aren't
resolved by default and so it will
look "as if" the types in these modules have been removed. More info on
the JDK 9 dev mailing list [2].

A change that went into JDK 9 b102 is worth mentioning:
JDK9: Remove stopThread RuntimePermission  from the default java.policy
In previous releases, untrusted
code had the "stopThread" RuntimePermission granted by default. This
permission allows untrusted code
to call Thread.stop(), initiating an asynchronous ThreadDeath Error, on
threads in the same thread group.
Having a ThreadDeath Error thrown asynchronously is not something that
trusted code should be expected
to handle gracefully. The permission is no longer granted by default.

Rgds,Rory

[1] http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/261
[2] http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jdk9-dev/2016-May/004309.html

--
Rgds,Rory O'Donnell
Quality Engineering Manager

Re: Early Access builds of JDK 9 b118 & JDK 9 with Project Jigsaw, b118 (#4987) are available on java.net

Posted by Rory O'Donnell <ro...@oracle.com>.
Thanks Uwe, I been following your discussions with Alan!

Rgds,Rory

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Hi Rory,

Thanks for the info! I’ve installed the b118 already on Jenkins and after some small change, we were able to test it. This change was required, because Apache Solr was using a class from the JAXB module (java.xml.bind), that is now disabled by default in the root modules. That’s all solved now by using a better class. See also the discussion on the OpenJDK-Jigsaw mailing list with Alan [1]!