Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by mels630 <me...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/01 01:08:15 UTC

commit issue after computer crash / rebuild

I maintain a personal SVN server on a separate partition of my hard
drive (/media/SVN) (with both remote and local access). Recently, I blew
up my main partition while trying to upgrade Ubuntu and am just getting
everything working again.

My data directories on my home partition were not affected after the
last unsuccessful upgrade attempt. I ended up creating a new partition
out of empty space and putting down a fresh Ubuntu install there. Then I
copied my data directories onto this new partition. I reinstalled SVN
and re-established access to my SVN server, seemingly with no problem.

 From my data (/home/XXX/Work) directory, I can successfully update my
local copy of my "Work" repository, however, when I attempt to commit
new data, I get the following error:

XXX@YYY:~/Work$ svn commit -m "Test commit 2"
svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: Can't open file '/media/SVN/Work/db/txn-current-lock': Permission
denied

However, I don't think permissions are the issue. From this same data
drive, I can checkout a new version of the repository (say, to
~/temp/Work), add a new file there, and successfully commit a new
revision without any trouble.

Is there are way to fix whatever ails my Work directory so that I can
commit from there without starting over again? I've got a number of
files I've changed since my last commit, along with a lot of "raw" data
(pdfs, image files, etc.) that are kept out of the repository (I use
svn:ignore so that I don't see them most of the time for svn purposes)
and would rather not have to move them all carefully into a new copy of
the repository.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Re: commit issue after computer crash / rebuild

Posted by mels630 <me...@gmail.com>.

> On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 8:08 PM, mels630<me...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> I maintain a personal SVN server on a separate partition of my hard drive
>> (/media/SVN) (with both remote and local access). Recently, I blew up my
>> main partition while trying to upgrade Ubuntu and am just getting everything
>> working again.
>>
>> My data directories on my home partition were not affected after the last
>> unsuccessful upgrade attempt. I ended up creating a new partition out of
>> empty space and putting down a fresh Ubuntu install there. Then I copied my
>> data directories onto this new partition. I reinstalled SVN and
>> re-established access to my SVN server, seemingly with no problem.
>>
>>  From my data (/home/XXX/Work) directory, I can successfully update my local
>> copy of my "Work" repository, however, when I attempt to commit new data, I
>> get the following error:
>>
>> XXX@YYY:~/Work$ svn commit -m "Test commit 2"
>> svn: Commit failed (details follow):
>> svn: Can't open file '/media/SVN/Work/db/txn-current-lock': Permission
>> denied
> How are you accessing it? And have you checked the group id's on that
> '/media/SVN/Work/db/' directory to match what you want? For example,
> if you're using Apache access, you'll need to set the group ownerships
> of db and its subdirs as "2775", with the same gid as the Apache
> daemon uses. And when you "commit data" , are you also using Apache?
> Or are you using your own user, and your own user doesn't have the
> same group membership?

Thank you, Nico. You put me on the right track. When I reinstalled
apache / svn, the group www-data was assigned a different group id.
While my username was part of the www-data group, some of the files in
/media/SVN/Work/db/ were identified as part of the group 1001, which was
no longer assigned to the www-data group. Once I fixed this, I was able
to commit via "file:///" as well as Apache.

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@gmail.com>.