Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Sudhir <su...@unidux.com.sg> on 2002/07/18 03:05:58 UTC

Processing Slow

Hi,

Can anybody tell me why the processing is very slow if I use struts when compared without using struts.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Re: Processing Slow

Posted by Eddie Bush <ed...@vestus.adabbs.com>.
LOL - do you do stand-up on the weekends, James? ;-)

Re: Processing Slow

Posted by Eddie Bush <ed...@vestus.adabbs.com>.
Here here!

RE: Processing Slow

RE: Processing Slow

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@telocity.com>.

RE: Processing Slow

Posted by Andrew Hill <an...@gridnode.com>.
For much the same reason that a car seems slow when compared to a
motorcycle...
;-)

Re: Processing Slow

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Sudhir wrote:

> Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 09:05:58 +0800
> From: Sudhir <su...@unidux.com.sg>
> Subject: Processing Slow
>
> Hi,
>
> Can anybody tell me why the processing is very slow if I use struts when
> compared without using struts.

There is absolutely no way to answer a question like this without
describing exactly what you are trying to accomplish.  In addition, you
have to ensure that you are implementing exactly the same functionality as
the corresponding Struts tags -- sometimes "slower" (not at all unlikely)
behavior that does more things is fine.  Finally, the performance of JSP
pages using Struts is ***very*** dependent on the quality of the JSP page
compiler.  As evidence of this, enormous performance differences between
Tomcat 4.0.4 and 4.1.7 (which uses a much better page compiler) have been
observed, with zero differences in the web application itself. -- solely
due to improvements in the generated code for custom tags.

Start by describing exactly what your use case is, and what benchmarks you
have run, and you might get some useful information.  Generalized
statements like the one you posted are pretty useless in that regard.

> Thanks and Best Regards,

Craig