Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com> on 2002/11/26 17:51:29 UTC

Pass xsl:param value to FOP through command line

Howdy,

I didn't find this answer in the archives. I'd like to pass an xsl:param
value to FOP. Is this possible? I found some information about doing this
through the use of a servlet, however I'm using *.BAT files (under Windows)
& *.sh scripts (in *NIX). I'd like to be able to pass xsl:param or
xsl:variable values, to effect output.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

- Clay Leeds
- Web Developer
- cleeds@medata.com

Re: Pass xsl:param value to FOP through command line

Posted by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com>.
Clay Leeds wrote:

> using fop-0.20.4 I'll check into the cvs version stuff if I can.
> However, I doubt my clients will be interested in using a non-release
> version.
Well, then wait 0.20.5rc, probably next week.

--
Oleg Tkachenko
eXperanto team

Re: Pass xsl:param value to FOP through command line

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
Oleg,

At 01:25 PM 11/27/2002, you wrote:
>Clay Leeds wrote:
>
>>I'll try this. Unfortunately, at this time, my clients are already
>>complaining about how long it takes to output using FOP. Here's the info
>>from FOP's debug mode:
>>[DEBUG] Initial heap size: 1828Kb
>>[DEBUG] Current heap size: 7003Kb
>>[DEBUG] Total memory used: 5174Kb
>>[DEBUG]   Memory use is indicative; no GC was performed
>>[DEBUG]   These figures should not be used comparatively
>>[DEBUG] Total time used: 11116ms
>>[DEBUG] Pages rendered: 5
>>[DEBUG] Avg render time: 2223ms/page
>Hmmm, too much as to me. Are you using big images? Which FOP version are
>you talking about? I'd try cvs version - some performance patch was applied.

using fop-0.20.4 I'll check into the cvs version stuff if I can. However, I
doubt my clients will be interested in using a non-release version.

>>Out of curiosity, how do you think these values would be changed if I did
>>the xalan stuff (passing the parameters & then did the FOP stuff? Do you
>>think this would increase the overall rendering time? If so, by how much.
>>(I'd certainly accept estimations).
>I'd say that not really going to change anything, just + time to serialize
>fo to a file + time to read and parse it.

That's what I figured. Thx!

Posted by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com>.

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
Oleg,

Thanks for the reply!

At 10:36 AM 11/27/2002, you wrote:
>Clay Leeds wrote:
>
>>I didn't find this answer in the archives. I'd like to pass an xsl:param
>>value to FOP. Is this possible? I found some information about doing this
>>through the use of a servlet, however I'm using *.BAT files (under
>>Windows) & *.sh scripts (in *NIX). I'd like to be able to pass xsl:param
>>or xsl:variable values, to effect output.
>You cannot do it using a command line fop.bat/fop.sh. But you can write
>your own script, where first invoke xalan to transform xml+xsl to fo, see
>xalan documentation how to run it from command line[1], and then run FOP
>in -fo mode.
>[1] http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/commandline.html
>--
>Oleg Tkachenko

I'll try this. Unfortunately, at this time, my clients are already
complaining about how long it takes to output using FOP. Here's the info
from FOP's debug mode:

[DEBUG] Initial heap size: 1828Kb
[DEBUG] Current heap size: 7003Kb
[DEBUG] Total memory used: 5174Kb
[DEBUG]   Memory use is indicative; no GC was performed
[DEBUG]   These figures should not be used comparatively
[DEBUG] Total time used: 11116ms
[DEBUG] Pages rendered: 5
[DEBUG] Avg render time: 2223ms/page

Out of curiosity, how do you think these values would be changed if I did
the xalan stuff (passing the parameters & then did the FOP stuff? Do you
think this would increase the overall rendering time? If so, by how much.
(I'd certainly accept estimations).

:-)

- Clay Leeds
- Web Developer
- cleeds@medata.com

Re: Odd, Even & Last-odd Problem

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Clay Leeds wrote:
> Actually, the new problem (referenced in a newer e-mail) is that I have
> my system set to "end-on-even" but rather than using the EVEN page
> simple-page-master stuff for the LAST page, FOP outputs another page
> using the ODD simple-page-master, and numbers it "page 6 of 5" in the
> region-before.

Known bug, should be fixed in CVS.

J.Pietschmann

Re: Odd, Even & Last-odd Problem

Posted by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com>.
Clay Leeds wrote:

> I removed all references to LAST after finding this out yesterday. OT: I
> sure wish there were a reference to "position=LAST" not being
> implemented yet on the FOP "limitations" page.
You right. Probably a warning ar even error should be logged also.

> Actually, the new problem (referenced in a newer e-mail) is that I have
> my system set to "end-on-even" but rather than using the EVEN page
> simple-page-master stuff for the LAST page, FOP outputs another page
> using the ODD simple-page-master, and numbers it "page 6 of 5" in the
> region-before.
Dooh, without seeing example I can say nothing.

Re: Odd, Even & Last-odd Problem

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
Oleg & all you other helpful folks,

At 10:40 AM 11/27/2002, you wrote:
>Clay Leeds wrote:
>>1. My EVEN page is not rendering every other page (EVEN pages). PROBLEM:
>>It prints at the end of the document.
>How much pages do you have? "rest" means not first and not last actually.

I don't know how many pages. I am printing medical bills, and, depending on
the number of procedures/bill detail items, it could be 1 page or 100
pages. If I knew, then I'd be able to specify this with accuracy, using
single-page-master-reference or something.

Re: Odd, Even & Last-odd Problem

Posted by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com>.

Odd, Even & Last-odd Problem

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
I'm having a couple of problems with my XSL-FO:

1. My EVEN page is not rendering every other page (EVEN pages). PROBLEM: It
prints at the end of the document.

2. My LAST-ODD page is not rendering. (The difference between ODD and
LAST-ODD is that the TOTALS section is blank on all pages except the
LAST-ODD page).

I'm sure it's just my naivete' with XSL-FO...

Here's my layout-master-set & page-sequence code:

<xsl:template match="doc">
     <!--  begin: define page layout -->
     <fo:layout-master-set>
       <!--  master set - last page has TOTALs -->
       <fo:page-sequence-master master-name="repeating_pm">
           <fo:conditional-page-master-reference page-position="last"
odd-or-even="odd" master-name="last-odd"/>
           <fo:conditional-page-master-reference page-position="rest"
odd-or-even="odd" master-name="rest-odd"/>
           <fo:conditional-page-master-reference page-position="any"
odd-or-even="even" master-name="any-even"/>
       </fo:page-sequence-master>
       <!--  simple page masters -->
       <fo:simple-page-master master-name="rest-odd" page-height="28cm"
page-width="22cm" margin-top="1cm" margin-bottom="1cm" margin-left="1cm"
margin-right="0cm">
         <fo:region-before extent="11cm" region-name="xsl-region-before-odd"/>
         <fo:region-after extent="4.09cm" region-name="xsl-region-after-odd"/>
         <fo:region-body margin-top="11cm" margin-bottom="4.09cm"
region-name="xsl-region-body-odd"/>
       </fo:simple-page-master>
       <fo:simple-page-master master-name="last-odd" page-height="28cm"
page-width="22cm" margin-top="1cm" margin-bottom="1cm" margin-left="1cm"
margin-right="0cm">
         <fo:region-before extent="11cm" region-name="xsl-region-before-odd"/>
         <fo:region-after extent="4.09cm"
region-name="xsl-region-after-odd-last"/>
         <fo:region-body margin-top="11cm" margin-bottom="4.09cm"
region-name="xsl-region-body-odd"/>
       </fo:simple-page-master>
       <fo:simple-page-master master-name="any-even" page-height="28cm"
page-width="22cm" margin-top="1cm" margin-bottom="1cm" margin-left="1cm"
margin-right="0cm">
         <fo:region-body margin-top="0cm" margin-bottom="0cm"
region-name="xsl-region-body-even"/>
       </fo:simple-page-master>
       <!--  end: layout for the first page -->
     </fo:layout-master-set>
     <!--  end: define page layout   -->
     <fo:page-sequence master-reference="rest-odd">
       <fo:static-content flow-name="xsl-region-before-odd">
         <xsl:call-template name="tmpHeader"/>
       </fo:static-content>
       <fo:static-content flow-name="xsl-region-after-odd">
         <xsl:call-template name="tmpFooter"/>
       </fo:static-content>
       <fo:static-content flow-name="xsl-region-after-odd-last">
         <xsl:call-template name="tmpFooterLast"/>
       </fo:static-content>
       <fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body-odd">
         <xsl:call-template name="tmpBodyOdd"/>
         <fo:block padding="0pt" font-size="1pt">
           <fo:marker marker-class-name="table-continued"/>
           <fo:block id="endofdoc"/>
         </fo:block>
       </fo:flow>
     </fo:page-sequence>
     <fo:page-sequence master-reference="any-even">
       <fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body-even">
         <xsl:call-template name="tmpBodyEven"/>
       </fo:flow>
     </fo:page-sequence>
   </fo:root>
</xsl:template>

Any ideas?

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
Won't work. The .BAT is *not* for generating XML. It just prints it. Our
primary app does the XML file generation.

Regards & stuff.

:-)

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@wyona.org>.
STOP!

I tought about something:
the .bat is for generating the the xml, right?
Then just do like you wanted: take an element call it e.g. <rear/>.
then if rear
<rear>1</rear>
else
<rear>0</rear>

 From there it is stylesheet work:

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@wyona.org>.

Clay Leeds wrote:
> That's what I'm trying to do by passing the PARAM in the COMMAND line.
> It may just be that I don't completely understand the process. I have a
> system which outputs an XML file, and if a setting exists, will print
> that file using XSL:FO. I have a 2nd page in the XSL:FO that is static
> (it's a government form).

Understood.

If the printer can handle DUPLEX (print on
> front & back) then I output the 2nd page. If it does not, then they must
> purchase pre-printed paper with the government disclaimer stuff on the
> back.

You want to keep the information in a file or should it be done "on the
fly"?

> I'd like to have my .BAT/.sh script which runs FOP pass a parameter to
> FOP so it "knows" whether or not to print the 2nd page.

ok, on the fly. But your .bat is sending the files, which should be
printed (front/rear // front). So why not keep a record whether it is
front/rear or front. Then "normal" if bla =true then bothPages else
frontPage.

I guess I could

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
That's what I'm trying to do by passing the PARAM in the COMMAND line. It
may just be that I don't completely understand the process. I have a system
which outputs an XML file, and if a setting exists, will print that file
using XSL:FO. I have a 2nd page in the XSL:FO that is static (it's a
government form). If the printer can handle DUPLEX (print on front & back)
then I output the 2nd page. If it does not, then they must purchase
pre-printed paper with the government disclaimer stuff on the back.

I'd like to have my .BAT/.sh script which runs FOP pass a parameter to FOP
so it "knows" whether or not to print the 2nd page. I guess I could set up

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@wyona.org>.
Sorry, but can't help.

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.

Posted by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com>.