Posted to dev@s2graph.apache.org by DO YUNG YOON <sh...@gmail.com> on 2018/10/31 06:56:15 UTC

[DISCUSS]: asking about future of s2graph

It's been almost 3 years since s2graph has entered apache incubating. Our
community has not been successful to reach more people so far and I think
failing on growing community is the blocker issue for s2graph to graduate.

I want to open up the discussion about what we have to do for growing
community, and eventually for graduation.

In my opinion, there are many parts have been changed after incubation.

Followings are notable improvements we have been working on.

1. Query Interface

- Tinkerpop OLTP support
- GraphQL support

2. Storage

- Embedded RocksDB
- JDBC Storage

3. Full-text search

- ElasticSearch for search on vertex/edge property

4. OLAP

- S2GraphSource: dump HFile then creates Spark dataframe.
- S2GraphSink: sink Spark dataframe to S2Graph.

Even though the project has been improved, our community has not been
grown.

There could be many reasons that our community is not growing(please list
them so we can discuss if we can resolve them), but in my humble opinion,
we have not even released above improvements since the last release.

As far as I remember, the last time we discuss the release was a long time
ago(2017-09-08) at here
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/d0d8e264b7625128a6c2832723cf2ad555d169f9f277086ce69c3a7b@%3Cdev.s2graph.apache.org%3E
.

Back then I was under pressure that we need to show that our community
growing after release, and since I was not sure, I avoid talking about the
release, and rather keep working on issues.

Now I think it is much better to start by releasing it rather than only
just wondering how to grow the community.

To grow the community, the very basic way I know is to keep improving the
project, releasing it, and advertise it, and get user feedback, and I think
we stuck to step 1 for too long time.

After a few more releases, then if there is no one found s2graph useful,
then I think we can happily retire from apache incubating, but I just don't
feel like we did our best yet.

I am willing to pursue building community, and I think it is worth to try
out a few more release until decide what's the next step.

I want to ask what others think. are there any others who are willing to
get more involved?

Re: [DISCUSS]: asking about future of s2graph

Posted by Woonsan Ko <wo...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Dec 3, 2018 at 9:38 PM DO YUNG YOON <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry for being late for reading this and Really Appreciate your opinion
> Woonsan.
>
> > Write blogs with compelling stories for potential active users who need
> to live on this technology, potentially with runnable GitHub project(s) for
> readers Stories with real use cases attract people as their lives can rely
> on those. It could make them active users at least.
>
> I would love to contribute to writing blogs, and runnable GitHub projects.
> I tried few times to share the user stories from Kakao, but I think we are
> open to any topics regarding S2Graph. Not sure how to start the blogs(I
> guess we need to discuss what topics we cover), but count me in.

Cool.
I think we need more diverse stories telling how people can take
advantage of the technology in their business, but at the same time it
also needs more diverse people to contribute to the stories. Virtuous
circle - that's what we need to make somehow perhaps at this point.
I will also give more thoughts while learning this technology and we
can later discuss it further...
Anyway the more people writing more stories, the better making it happen.

> > Make more noise through Kakao, Twitter, Facebook, ... I have been a
> non-social-web guy, but I have written blog articles for Apache Jackrabbit,
> etc. JMeter twitts often to broadcast community activities. It works.
>
> I am not an active user on the social things so not sure how to working on
> this. Maybe more social people can help us. we can try this when we have
> some activities to broadcast such as release, adding the cool feature,
> writing blogs so on.

I see S2Graph has an official Twitter channel at least. Hasn't been
updated since 2016 though. That could be a good start to revive.
In FreeMarker project, we officially have a step to announce a release
through its Twitter channel:
- https://freemarker.apache.org/committer-howto.html#making-releases
(See the step 22).

By the way, do we have any meetups including S2Graph topics anywhere?
In Seoul, for example?
If we do, it's really valuable to announce those events through
Twitter, etc. Meetups in local communities are really helpful to
spread the great technologies and get to know potential active
users/devs. Sometimes their creative questions from their work can
also help our project.

> > If necessary or useful, consider writing those in Korean for local
> communities, even in users@ mailing list. As long as you keep deciding
> together in devs@, it's no problem.
>
> Actually, didn't know this. Would be helpful if we need to explain in
> details for users who are not comfortable with English. Mixing up with the
> first suggestion, I am wondering writing blogs in Korean is ok, since I
> think it can help lowering the bar to local users.

Yes. The only requirement in the ASF regarding languages is that devs
need to use English in dev@ lists for transparent decision makings.
In users@ list, StackOverflow, or any other user supporting channels,
any language can be used. For example, if devs want to support users
who ask questions in Korean, devs should feel free to respond in
Korean.
If devs need to take some insights (issues, improvement ideas,
features, ...) from users@ to dev@ and discuss further, then they
should start discussing in English with (brief) explanations from the
insights. Then it's totally fine and it is more community-oriented
practices, IMO.

> > Try to leverage your company's marketing department's power. They might
> be eager to leverage you as an Apache community leaders for their reasons,
> too. It could be a win-win. For example, I always try to secure my tech
> session(s) about Apache Jackrabbit and related topics in my company's
> annual conference, making deals with the marketing dept.
>
> Not sure if my company can support this, but worth to ask so let me ask
> them.
>
> I hope we can further discuss how and what for blogs.

All right.

Thanks,

Woonsan

Posted by DO YUNG YOON <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Woonsan Ko <wo...@apache.org>.
Hi Do Yung,

Thank you very much for the clear explanation.
I've recently applied for a mentor for this project, so I'm reading past messages to understand the context now. ;-)
Please see my comments inline.

On 2018/10/31 06:56:15, DO YUNG YOON <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's been almost 3 years since s2graph has entered apache incubating. Our
> community has not been successful to reach more people so far and I think
> failing on growing community is the blocker issue for s2graph to graduate.
>
> I want to open up the discussion about what we have to do for growing
> community, and eventually for graduation.
>
> In my opinion, there are many parts have been changed after incubation.
>
> Followings are notable improvements we have been working on.
>
> 1. Query Interface
>
> - Tinkerpop OLTP support
> - GraphQL support
>
> 2. Storage
>
> - Embedded RocksDB
> - JDBC Storage
>
> 3. Full-text search
>
> - ElasticSearch for search on vertex/edge property
>
> 4. OLAP
>
> - S2GraphSource: dump HFile then creates Spark dataframe.
> - S2GraphSink: sink Spark dataframe to S2Graph.
>
> Even though the project has been improved, our community has not been
> grown.
>
> There could be many reasons that our community is not growing(please list
> them so we can discuss if we can resolve them), but in my humble opinion,
> we have not even released above improvements since the last release.
>
> As far as I remember, the last time we discuss the release was a long time
> ago(2017-09-08) at here
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/d0d8e264b7625128a6c2832723cf2ad555d169f9f277086ce69c3a7b@%3Cdev.s2graph.apache.org%3E
> .
>
> Back then I was under pressure that we need to show that our community
> growing after release, and since I was not sure, I avoid talking about the
> release, and rather keep working on issues.
>
> Now I think it is much better to start by releasing it rather than only
> just wondering how to grow the community.
>
> To grow the community, the very basic way I know is to keep improving the
> project, releasing it, and advertise it, and get user feedback, and I think
> we stuck to step 1 for too long time.

My two cents:

From my experiences, it's really about selling your technology to people. We might want to be focused on marketing a little bit more. Possible marketing activities for community growth are in my mind:

Posted by Hwansung Yu <ra...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Thank you for Justin.
I opened discussion on the @private.

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/e2562a2eb8eb68e204d8a76ab1a5e3dc571fe8889cf0723d50d48750@%3Cprivate.s2graph.apache.org%3E

If there are no PPMC objections, is it the next step to let our mentor add
committers?

Thanks,
Hwansung

2018년 11월 6일 (화) 오전 5:39, Justin Mclean <jm...@apache.org>님이 작성:

Posted by Woonsan Ko <wo...@apache.org>.

On 2018/11/05 20:39:48, Justin Mclean <jm...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here is the original discussion [1] on the private list (over 2 years ago!). I'm surprised these people have kept on with the project. While not as formal as what some projects do (having a formal VOTE thread), it's up to each PPMC to decide (and hopefully document) on how to appoint committers and it looks like the consensus was to add the people discussed. I suggest you have a discussion on the @private list and if there's no PPMC objections (seem unlikely) just go ahead and add them as committers perhaps with an apology for taking so long.

I was a bit surprised at the voting result announcement today because I couldn't find any "[VOTE] ..." messages for those two committer candidates.
Even if it [1] is a guideline and (P)PMC might want to have a different process, I don't see any good reasons to avoid an official voting call per candidate. I think it is better to follow the guideline for committer invitations.

Another thing is, if 2 years already passed and if we're concerned whether the candidate is still interested in or not, then I think a PPMC member should kindly contact them to ask if they're still willing to join by e-mail with CC'ing private@. If we get a positive answer form a candidate, it seems best to start a voting call for the candidate only.

Regards,

Woonsan

[1] https://community.apache.org/newcommitter.html

Posted by Justin Mclean <jm...@apache.org>.
HI,

> I think there are two candidates for the conditions.

When discussion potential candidates it best to do so on the private list. What happens if you mention someone publicly and then not vote them in?

> In the previous mailing issue, there was a thread to add Hyunsung Jo as
> committer, but no action was taken after Voting.

Your mentors/PPMC need to add the person the the projects roster, help get their account set up, make sure they have signed an ICLA and welcome them to the community.

> We do not know how to do it because we have no experience in adding
> committers.

Your mentors can help here.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [DISCUSS]: asking about future of s2graph

Posted by Hwansung Yu <ra...@apache.org>.
Hi,

I totally agree with Justin's opinion.

I think it is most important to add a new committer and ppmc to grow our
community.

I think there are two candidates for the conditions.
They are Jongwook Kim and Hyunsung Jo.
They were involved in several issues.
In particular, Hyunsung Jo worked for the community building at the Apache
conference.

In the previous mailing issue, there was a thread to add Hyunsung Jo as
committer, but no action was taken after Voting.

We do not know how to do it because we have no experience in adding
commiters.

Justin, can you tell us how we can add Committer or PPMC?

Thanks.

2018년 11월 4일 (일) 오전 8:14, Justin Mclean <jm...@apache.org>님이 작성:

Posted by Justin Mclean <jm...@apache.org>.
HI,

Posted by DO YUNG YOON <sh...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the comments deawon.

I think providing contribution guide, documentation on the dev environment
and documentation on usage are necessary, and feel like we do not have
these now.

Also, I suggest provide release documentation so any other committer like
you can easily get involved on release cycle. I guess I can work on the
release documentation and ask feedback, targeting the next release which I
hope to happen soon.

Do you think providing more documentation is the top priority for community
building?

There are a few times that someone asked about S2Graph and then they did
not get involved, and I think we should learn from our previous failure to
attract people to our community.

Is S2Graph hard to play around since the lack of documentation or is
s2graph not doing well on what it suppose to provide?

If we think former is the main reason, I think providing documentation on
getting started not only for users but also developers is our top priority.

Posted by daewon <da...@apache.org>.