Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Kris Gemborys <ma...@comcast.net> on 2003/12/03 19:13:29 UTC

Tunning up Tomcat to run web application on desktops in the single user environment with limitted resources

First I want to apologize for another of these mails "what is better
jetty vs tomcat' but most of the available resources compare both
containers in the environment where they are serving multiple concurrent
requests. What I am interested is the container that utilizes as little
resources as possible and is the most responsive while running on
Pentium III or low-end Pentium 4 laptop with small amount of RAM serving
single user. My limited knowledge about both products does not allow me
to perform any type of container configuration beyond of lowering
maximum number of threads for jetty.

Here is what I have done so far and my results:
Windows XP Professional/Pentium 4 M  - 2 Ghz/Tomcat 4.1.24/Jetty
4.2.15/JDK 1.4.1
Prototype application uses XSLT/XML/Cloudscape with no connection pooling

I removed all preinstalled Tomcat web applications except Manager.
I also removed bunch of other files from Jetty, Tomcat and SUN's JDK
packages which helped me to create two distributable 20 MB zips for both
JDK/Tomcat and JDK/ Jetty.
I deployed a prototype application to both Jetty and Tomcat.
I precompiled all jsp for both Jetty and Tomcat - fortunately they both
are using jasper :-)
I have observed that Jetty starts and loads application at least twice
faster and uses 25% less memory. The pages were rendered within 1 sec.
I am not using <load-on-startup>. to conserve RAM.

Does anybody have comments on this topic?
Are there any Tomcat specific hints to improve its performance and
reduce amount of utilized resources assuming that it is being used by a
single user?

Thanks for help, Kris.

Re: Tunning up Tomcat to run web application on desktops in the single user environment with limitted resources

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
You can probably delete the following from server/lib
servlets-invoker.jar ( And remove from web.xml)
servlets-manager.jar (Unless you *need* the manager)
servlets-webdav.jar
# Only keep the connectors that you plan on using
tomcat-coyote.jar
tomcat-http11.jar
tomcat-jk.jar
tomcat-jk2.jar
tomcat-warp.jar

In web.xml, comment out jsp servlet and remove jasper-compiler.jar from
common/lib

If you don't need the manager, admin, to compile jsp (which you don't since
they are precompiled), I think you might be able to get away with removing
all ant related jars too.

-Tim