Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Leo Donahue - OETX <Le...@mail.maricopa.gov> on 2013/11/06 23:28:34 UTC

[OT] RE: Baked-in context paths

I don't know why my email client keeps adding this junk.  There isn't even a carriage return after this line.  Sorry for the wasted bits.

RE: [OT] RE: Baked-in context paths

Posted by Konstantin Preißer <kp...@apache.org>.
Hi Christopher,

<snip>

> > Should I report this problem somewhere, e.g. on the Apache Infra
> > JIRA?

<snip>

> Interesting observation. I think you should report it to infra@
>
> - -chris

Ok, thanks. I have created an issue here (hope this was the right place): https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-7052

Regards,
Konstantin Preißer

Re: [OT] RE: Baked-in context paths

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Konstantin,

On 11/18/13, 9:35 AM, Konstantin Preißer wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> -----Original Message----- From: Konstantin Preißer
>> [mailto:kpreisser@apache.org] Sent: Wednesday, November 13, 2013
>> 6:14 PM To: 'Tomcat Users List' Subject: RE: [OT] RE: Baked-in
>> context paths
>>
>> Hi Jeffrey,
>>
>>> -----Original Message----- From: Jeffrey Janner
>>> [mailto:Jeffrey.Janner@PolyDyne.com] Sent: Wednesday, November
>>> 13, 2013 5:14 PM To: 'Tomcat Users List' Subject: RE: [OT] RE:
>>> Baked-in context paths
>>>
>>> The thing is, the garbage characters at the end don't exist in
>>> the email I see
>> as I type.
>>> They are either hidden in the editor or getting added by
>>> Outlook (2007) or
>> Exchange (2010).
>>
>> They are "added" by the list mailer of this mailing list, not by
>> your mail client - it is the the following lines:

>> The problem here is that your client sent the mail content as
>> Base64, and the list mailer adds these lines as a separate Base64
>> block which (in my opinion) is probably wrong - it produces
>> invalid Base64 data, which causes such junk characters on some
>> mailing clients (and an empty mail on my client).
>>
>> This also happens with some other mails like the one from
>> Buildbot on the Dev list - these are are also sent as Base64
>> which then show blank for me.
>
> Should I report this problem somewhere, e.g. on the Apache Infra
> JIRA?
>
> Note that this problem does not always appear - I think it happens
> only if (original_message_length_in_bytes % 3 != 0), because then
> the last 4 characters sequence does not represent 3 bytes, but only
> 1 or 2, and therefore has some "=" characters at the end. However,
> in the other case, the last 4 characters represent full 3 bytes, so
> another Base64 block can be added without corrupting the data.
>
> E.g., if you look at this mail from Buildbot [1], you can see that
> the bottom contains the "To unsubscribe..." text added by the
> mailing list. This mail displayed correctly in my mail client. If
> you look at the raw message, you can see that the first Base64
> block represents 429 bytes, and as 429 % 3 == 0 there isn't a
> problem.
>
> If you look at this mail from Buildbot [2], then the bottom doesn't
> contain the "To unsubscribe" lines. In the raw message, you can see
> the first Base64 block represents 403 bytes (403 % 3 == 1), so it
> contains "==" at the end, and the added Base64 block makes the
> Base64 invalid. This email displayed blank in my client.
>

> [1]
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/tomcat-dev/201311.mbox/%3C20131118012335.AB0A6C04A4%40aegis.apache.org%3E

[2]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/tomcat-dev/201311.mbox/%3C20131118032322.48526C04A4%40aegis.apache.org%3E

Posted by Konstantin Preißer <kp...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Konstantin Preißer <kp...@apache.org>.
Hi Jeffrey,

Posted by Jeffrey Janner <Je...@PolyDyne.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Preißer <kp...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Preißer <kp...@apache.org>.
Hi Jeffrey,

If I open the mail in the Apache Mail-Archives (http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/tomcat-users/201311.mbox/%3C7215BA462D00D343B2837F9113F0131F0181A0E612%40POSTOFFICE02.polydyne.com%3E), then I can see the text, but it does not show the three "To unsubscribe ..." text added by the list mailer at the bottom.

Posted by Jeffrey Janner <Je...@PolyDyne.com>.

[...snip...]
> > isn't
> bits.
> > >
> > > You must be using Outlook. My Outlook tends to do that every time I
> > > reply to one of Chris' PGP-signed messages. The trick is to make
> > > sure you remove all the PGP signature and all the header bits
> > > associated with it.
> >
> > :(
> >
> > I didn't know that was happening. I used to use PGP/MIME but
> evidently
> > that made my messages invisible (i.e. no-content) for some people
> with
> > ... less capable email readers. So I switched to in-message
> signatures
> > which seemed to be a bit more compatible.
> >
> > Apologies for the inconvenience.
> >
> > - -chris
>
> No real problem Chris.  I normally delete everything at the end of a
> message that's not relevant to the message.  It's just that I sometimes
> forget to remove the "BEGIN PGP MESSAGE" and hash line at the top of
> the message, and so for some reason Outlook still puts in a bunch of
> junk at the end.
> Not really your fault. If only MS would support industry standards
> better, we'd all be better off. (I also can't set it to not top-post
> replies.) B
> KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKCB
>  [  X  ܚX KK[XZ[
>
>  \ \  ][  X  ܚX P X ]
>  \X K ܙ B  ܈Y][ۘ[  [X[  K[XZ[
>
>  \ \  Z[ X ]
>  \X K ܙ B

Ack! Ack! Spfft! Spfft!  Ack!
F-in Microsoft!

RE: [OT] RE: Baked-in context paths

Posted by Jeffrey Janner <Je...@PolyDyne.com>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Jeff,

On 11/7/13, 10:17 AM, Jeffrey Janner wrote:
>> -----Original Message----- From: Leo Donahue - OETX
>> [mailto:LeoDonahue@mail.maricopa.gov] Sent: Wednesday, November
>> 06, 2013 4:29 PM To: Tomcat Users List Subject: [OT] RE: Baked-in
>> context paths
>>
>>> -----Original Message----- From: Leo Donahue - OETX
>>> [mailto:LeoDonahue@mail.maricopa.gov] Subject: RE: Baked-in
>>> context paths
>>>

>>> B�KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

KKKKKKCB��[��X��ܚX�KK[XZ[

>>> �\�\��][��X��ܚX�P�X�]
>>> �\X�K�ܙ�B��܈Y][ۘ[��[X[��K[XZ[
>>>
>>> �\�\��Z[�X�] �\X�K�ܙ�B�
>>
>> I don't know why my email client keeps adding this junk.  There
>> isn't even a carriage return after this line.  Sorry for the
>> wasted bits.
>
> You must be using Outlook. My Outlook tends to do that every time I
> reply to one of Chris' PGP-signed messages. The trick is to make
> sure you remove all the PGP signature and all the header bits
> associated with it.

:(

Posted by Jeffrey Janner <Je...@PolyDyne.com>.

Jeff