Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by BradS <jr...@mac.com> on 2007/12/07 01:12:48 UTC

SA deployment

I am trying to get the wsdl-first-sa to deploy, but am having no luck.  I
have the servicemix container running, but when I copy the
wsdl-first-sa-3.2.1.zip into <servicemix_home>/deploy,
<servicemix_home>/install, <servicemix_home>/bin/deploy or
<servicemix_home>/bin/install I get no activity from the service.  I was
able to deploy once using the mvn jbi:projectDeploy target, but have not
been able to recreate it using any combination of actions.

Is there something simple missing here?  I am beginning to wonder if this
product is WAY too complicated for what we need (simple messagin/queuing).

Re: SA deployment

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On Dec 7, 2007 8:48 AM, BradS <jr...@mac.com> wrote:

> bsnyder wrote:
> >
> > From where were you copying the ZIP file? You should be copying the
> > wsdl-first/wsdl-first-sa/target/wsdl-first-sa-3.2.1.jar file into the
> > hotdeploy directory. If you were copying the ZIP file from your local
> > Maven repo (located in ~/.m2/repository) then that might explain the
> > issue, but I can't be sure without more detail.
> >
> > Bruce
> > --
> >

> I thought the zip was what needed to be deployed?  I haven't figured out how
> the su and sa build processes work yet, so I don't know much about it.  I am
> going to read the links you sent yesterday and try to get up to speed.

When you build any Maven project using the mvn install command, it
creates the artifact in the target directory. When deploying a SA,
this is what should be copied to the hotdeploy directory.

Bruce
);'

Apache ActiveMQ - http://activemq.org/

Blog: http://bruceblog.org/

Re: SA deployment

Posted by BradS <jr...@mac.com>.

Re: SA deployment

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On Dec 6, 2007 9:09 PM, Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 6, 2007 8:33 PM, BradS <jr...@mac.com> wrote:
> >
> > I have another issue with the wsdl-first-sa example that I just realized.  I
> > kept changing the source and redeploying and nothing ever changed.  I
> > realized later that what appears to be happening was that the mvn project
> > has a dependency to the wsdl-first-sa-3.2.1.zip pom in the repository - so
> > it wasn't actually building my project from the source - it was pulling down
> > the same version and deploying that.  That was very frustrating.
>
> From where were you copying the ZIP file? You should be copying the
> wsdl-first/wsdl-first-sa/target/wsdl-first-sa-3.2.1.jar file into the
> hotdeploy directory. If you were copying the ZIP file from your local
> Maven repo (located in ~/.m2/repository) then that might explain the
> issue, but I can't be sure without more detail.

Nevermind, it looks like Chris already fixed it.

Bruce
);'

Re: SA deployment

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.

Re: SA deployment

Posted by BradS <jr...@mac.com>.
I have another issue with the wsdl-first-sa example that I just realized.  I
kept changing the source and redeploying and nothing ever changed.  I
realized later that what appears to be happening was that the mvn project
has a dependency to the wsdl-first-sa-3.2.1.zip pom in the repository - so
it wasn't actually building my project from the source - it was pulling down
the same version and deploying that.  That was very frustrating.

I can manually rebuild the sa archive and it works fine now.

Re: SA deployment

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On Dec 6, 2007 7:26 PM, BradS <jr...@mac.com> wrote:

> That did the trick - I didn't see any reference to the hotdeploy directory in
> the docs and I obviously didn't pick up on that.  The other problem is that
> I don't really know what the jbi:projectDeploy step in maven does, so I had
> know idea how to figure out why my deploys aren't working.
>
> I agree that my problem is mostly ignorance.  The product looks well-written
> - I am just having a hard time figuring out how to get it working.  I will
> read those guides and give it another go.

Let us know when you have questions arise. We're here to help :-).

We also really like contributions from anyone - even documentation
fixes. Anyone can fix the docs via the wiki after signing up for an
account. See the contributing doc for more info:

http://servicemix.apache.org/contributing.html

Bruce
);'

Re: SA deployment

Re: SA deployment

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On Dec 6, 2007 5:12 PM, BradS <jr...@mac.com> wrote:

> I am trying to get the wsdl-first-sa to deploy, but am having no luck.  I
> have the servicemix container running, but when I copy the
> wsdl-first-sa-3.2.1.zip into <servicemix_home>/deploy,
> <servicemix_home>/install, <servicemix_home>/bin/deploy or
> <servicemix_home>/bin/install I get no activity from the service.  I was
> able to deploy once using the mvn jbi:projectDeploy target, but have not
> been able to recreate it using any combination of actions.
>
> Is there something simple missing here?  I am beginning to wonder if this
> product is WAY too complicated for what we need (simple messagin/queuing).

There are instructions for the wsdl-first example in the README.txt
file, did you try to use those yet?

The README.txt file is only one path to deploying a SA. Based on what
you're describing, you should know that ServiceMix has changed a bit
just recently to make deployment easier and there is no longer
separate install and deploy directories. There is now a single
hotdeploy directory where you copy your SAs for deployment.

>From the wsdl-first directory, you need to build the project using the
following command (which requires Maven 2.0.4 or greater) from the
command line:

$ mvn install

This will build and package everything into the wsdl-first-sa/target
directory. Then copy the
wsdl-first-sa/target/wsdl-first-sa-<version>.jar into the hotdeploy
directory. This will deploy the wsdl-first example into ServiceMix.

It seems like you're having a difficult time getting started. To get
started, I'd usally recommend the Quick Start
(http://servicemix.apache.org/1-quick-start.html) but it appears to be
slightly out of date. In addition, you should take a walk through the
first two Beginner Guides:

1) http://servicemix.apache.org/1-beginner-guided-tour-and-core-concepts.html
2) http://servicemix.apache.org/2-beginner-using-maven-to-develop-jbi-applications.html

Then move on to the following:

1) http://servicemix.apache.org/what-is-jbi.html
2) http://servicemix.apache.org/what-is-a-jbi-su-and-how-do-i-create-one.html

All of this info should give you a better foothold before proceeding further.

Bruce
);'