Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Ryan Pavely <pa...@nac.net> on 2004/12/22 17:32:28 UTC

Odd error when -x is used

Since my upgrade to SA 3.0 I have a few more timeouts on occasion.
Therefore I decided to test adding -x to my .qmail spamc line.
 eg. |/usr/local/bin/spamc -x -H -d spamd.nac.net -u paradox@nac.net

On occasion I get a message here and there that looks like this...

Usage: spamc [options] < message

-B: BSMTP mode - expect input to be a single SMTP-formatted message
-c: check only - print score/threshold and exit code set to 0 if message is not spam, 1 if spam
-r: report if spam - print report for spam messages
-R: report - print report for all messages
-y: symbols - print only the names of the tests hit
-d host: specify host to connect to  [default: localhost]
-e command [args]: Command to output to instead of stdout. MUST BE THE LAST OPTION.
-f: fallback safely - in case of comms error, dump original message unchanges instead of setting exitcode
-h: print this help message
-p port: specify port for connection [default: 783]
-s size: specify max message size, any bigger and it will be returned w/out processing [default: 250k]
-S: use SSL to talk to spamd
-u username: specify the username for spamd to process this message under
-x: don't fallback safely - in a comms error, exit with a TEMPFAIL error code

-t: timeout in seconds to read from spamd. 0 disables. [default: 600]

--
  Ryan Pavely
   Director Research And Development

Re: Odd error when -x is used

Posted by Thomas Arend <ml...@arend-whv.info>.

Re: Odd error when -x is used

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
At 12:14 PM 12/22/2004, Ryan Pavely wrote:
>Well your email did bring me to an interesting observation.
>  I am using SpamC for SA 3.0, and had upgraded from SA 2.63
>
>  Notice the layout of my error message.. although ALL machines that run
> spamc (/usr/local/bin/spamc) are 3.0 somehow
>  my error is displaying the SA 2.63 help message!
>
>  That's pretty obvious now that you made me run spamc -h :)

That's quite suspicious.. The help message is hard-coded into spamc itself,
not in any external files or libraries.

I'd double-check your systems for duplicate copies of spamc. Perhaps inside
a chrooted directory or some other such odd mess...

I'd also double check all the messages that have that help in it.. Look at
the received: headers.. did they all originate outside your network, or at
localhost? I'm trying to rule out the possibility that one specific outside
server is sending all of the messages, thus making it likely that that
particular server is borked.

Re: Odd error when -x is used

Posted by Ryan Pavely <pa...@nac.net>.

Re: Odd error when -x is used