Posted to websh-dev@tcl.apache.org by Ronnie Brunner <ro...@netcetera.ch> on 2002/04/02 17:58:26 UTC

Status development websh3.5 and documentation

We're somehow behind schedule: we planned a release by end of last
month. I would appreciate, if we could concentrate on the important
stuf now, so the effort we put into the project actually gets us
somewhere.

- Are there any code issues that still need to be looked at?

- What's the status of the web site migration?

- The documentation still sucks (oops, xcuse my language)

Imho we need to put most of the effort into the documentation. A few
suggestions and issues that came up when I looked at quickref.xml
today:

- the commands are not consistently documented (e.g. web::tempfile
  does not have a syntax)

- The contents is very un-readable. A few suggestions (just as a
  discussion basis):
  - Split Command dispatching and session management into two chapters
  - *Only* have the commands as subchapters (except for the
    introduction chapter) I don't know if that scales, but I'd like to
    have a cleaner Contents section
  - This would actually imply that the examples have to be moved
    somehow (either create an examples section at the end and link the
    different chapters to the examples)
  - Move the general description stuff to the beginning of the
    respective section (e.g. in the Command dispatching section the
    stuff about the cmdurlcfg)
  I know that I haven't the cool solution either, but we definitly
  have to improve the documentation not just on the content side, but
  also on the formal side.

- Documentation is not uptodate. e.g. web::cmdurlcfg still describes
  the -protocol option
  -> we HAVE to really look at every command in detail and check the
  documentation for accuracy. And I don't see a different way than
  splitting up [info commands web::*] and assign a couple of commands
  to everyone willing to spend a couple of hours.

Opinions?

Re: Status development websh3.5 and documentation

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
davidw@dedasys.com (David N. Welton) writes:

> Ronnie Brunner <ro...@netcetera.ch> writes:
>
> > What are the paths we need to provide?
>
> > - server root (env(SERVER_ROOT) if it exists in CGI case, "" otherwise)
> > - document root (env(DOCUMENT_ROOT) if it exiss in CGI case, "" otherwise)
> > - mod_websh config dir/file ("" in CGI case)
> > - interpclass path (path of CGI-executable == [pwd] in CGI case)
> > - actual path to script requested (SCRIPT_FILENAME or PATH_TRANSLATED
> >   or something ...)

On second thought, maybe just using web::request with these is best.
I have an email in to dev@httpd.apache.org, to see if they have any
better ideas.  It is a bit unpleasant not being able to ever chdir to
someplace.

--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: Status development websh3.5 and documentation

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
Ronnie Brunner <ro...@netcetera.ch> writes:

> What are the paths we need to provide?

> - server root (env(SERVER_ROOT) if it exists in CGI case, "" otherwise)
> - document root (env(DOCUMENT_ROOT) if it exiss in CGI case, "" otherwise)
> - mod_websh config dir/file ("" in CGI case)
> - interpclass path (path of CGI-executable == [pwd] in CGI case)
> - actual path to script requested (SCRIPT_FILENAME or PATH_TRANSLATED
>   or something ...)

The thing I don't like about this is that we don't use 'env' for other
things.  Like HTTPS, for instance...  I think we should be consistent,
and provide either a command or a tcl variable.

> > > - The documentation still sucks (oops, xcuse my language)

> > I agree, but there's a lot of it:-( I've spent a lot of hours
> > wading through it, and it seems like it never ends...

> Don't tell me, I know what it is like :-( But we still need to
> improve. Suggestions on how to divide the work?

Well, I think I'm close to having the structural changes done.  At
that point, we should at least have something we can work with as far
as the information contained being done up right.

Posted by Ronnie Brunner <ro...@netcetera.ch>.
> Yes - we need a way to get the location of the script for mod_websh
> stuff.  We also need to fix the session stuff, along with a few
> makefile tweaks, maybe.

we started about this earlier. The last ideas were:

> > > Yes... but... won't this introduce a split between mod_websh
> > > powered app's and CGI apps?  I think the cwd should be where the
> > > file is located, but I'm not sure how to work around the threading
> > > problem, and am currently investigating.

> > I wouldn't mind having websh just return an empty string in the CGI
> > case for the unknown paths. Actually: some servers (e.g. Apache ;-)
> > do put these paths into the CGI environment, so we could try to
> > access them from the environment within websh3: DOCUMENT_ROOT,
> > SERVER_ROOT, [file dirname $env(SCRIPT_FILENAME)] ...

> Environmental variables aren't used elsewhere in WebSH, even when they
> are made available through the server.  I don't think we should make
> an exception just for this.

We do use the env variable in the CGI case: setting up the request
structure, we eval web::cgi::copyenv from script.ws3, which does
exactly that (there is no other way to get that info in a CGI)

-> I would still opt for a solution that just that provides an
accessor for these paths. Is web::config really the place? Although
it's also in the environment in the CGI case, I wouldn't mix it up
with the request info (because it isn't request info, and because we
get potential name clashes when we introduce our own variables).

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
Ronnie Brunner <ro...@netcetera.ch> writes:

> We're somehow behind schedule: we planned a release by end of last
> month. I would appreciate, if we could concentrate on the important
> stuf now, so the effort we put into the project actually gets us
> somewhere.

> - Are there any code issues that still need to be looked at?

Yes - we need a way to get the location of the script for mod_websh
stuff.  We also need to fix the session stuff, along with a few
makefile tweaks, maybe.

> - What's the status of the web site migration?

Depends on the above, and getting the server set up.  I've been going
back and forth with Brian about this, trying to get something that is
both acceptable to the admins and to the Apache Tcl group.

> - The documentation still sucks (oops, xcuse my language)

I agree, but there's a lot of it:-( I've spent a lot of hours wading
through it, and it seems like it never ends...

> Imho we need to put most of the effort into the documentation. A few
> suggestions and issues that came up when I looked at quickref.xml
> today:

> - the commands are not consistently documented (e.g. web::tempfile
> does not have a syntax)

> - The contents is very un-readable. A few suggestions (just as a
>   discussion basis):
>   - Split Command dispatching and session management into two chapters
>   - *Only* have the commands as subchapters (except for the
>     introduction chapter) I don't know if that scales, but I'd like to
>     have a cleaner Contents section
>   - This would actually imply that the examples have to be moved
>     somehow (either create an examples section at the end and link the
>     different chapters to the examples)
>   - Move the general description stuff to the beginning of the
>     respective section (e.g. in the Command dispatching section the
>     stuff about the cmdurlcfg)
>   I know that I haven't the cool solution either, but we definitly
>   have to improve the documentation not just on the content side, but
>   also on the formal side.

> - Documentation is not uptodate. e.g. web::cmdurlcfg still describes
>   the -protocol option
>   -> we HAVE to really look at every command in detail and check the
>   documentation for accuracy. And I don't see a different way than
>   splitting up [info commands web::*] and assign a couple of commands
>   to everyone willing to spend a couple of hours.

> Opinions?

Not much to be done other than wading through it.  It's time
consuming, though:-( I've been doing my best to get the structure
cleaned up.

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
Ronnie Brunner <ro...@netcetera.ch> writes:

>   - Split Command dispatching and session management into two chapters

>   - *Only* have the commands as subchapters (except for the
>   introduction chapter) I don't know if that scales, but I'd like to
>   have a cleaner Contents section

How do you mean, exactly?

A Content section with only the Section headings?  Like so:

        Introduction
        Configuration
        Command dispatching and session management

>   - This would actually imply that the examples have to be moved
>   somehow (either create an examples section at the end and link the
>   different chapters to the examples)

Why?

>   - Move the general description stuff to the beginning of the
>   respective section (e.g. in the Command dispatching section the
>   stuff about the cmdurlcfg)

Sounds good.  We will also have a small 'recipes' section.

> - Documentation is not uptodate. e.g. web::cmdurlcfg still describes
>   the -protocol option

Ok, this is a list I think we can partially compile from the bug
tracking system.

web::response -select default should set the default channel

wrong default scheme in cmdurl (?)

Change semantic of web::putx

web::cmdurl -notimestamp: make configurable in web:::config

web::context invalidation

web::filecontext: -path is mandatory

web::log shouldn't subst by default

web::request -reset shouldn't reset all paramaters

new web::putx stuff

Will look into these tommorow.