Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by lifepuzzlefun <wj...@163.com> on 2023/05/11 16:04:28 UTC

[VOTE] PIP-270 Add config to set metadata size threshold for compression

Hello Pulsar community,

This thread is to start a PIP-270 Add config to set metadata size threshold for compression

Discussion thread:
https://lists.apache.org/thread/6930c74m31rflrql9y3dpjmm0sbccqkb Issue: https://github.com/apache/pulsar/issues/20307
Voting will be open for at least 48 hours. Thanks!
: - )

Re: [VOTE] PIP-270 Add config to set metadata size threshold for compression

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
Hello lifepuzzlefun,
thanks for your proposal
I believe that it is too early to start a VOTE as the discussion has
not happened yet.

Side note: this change is small and it doesn't introduce breaking API
changes, I am not sure that we need a PIP for it.

Enrico

Posted by PengHui Li <pe...@apache.org>.
It looks good to me.

Just a minor suggestion about the name of the configuration.

managedLedgerInfoCompressionSizeThreshold ->
managedLedgerInfoCompressionThresholdInBytes
managedCursorInfoCompressionSizeThreshold
-> managedCursorInfoCompressionThresholdInBytes

And is it better to introduce a minimum available value like 16KB
to avoid mistakes from the user? I don't think the compaction will
help much when the data is lower than 16KB.

Thanks,
Penghui

Posted by Asaf Mesika <as...@gmail.com>.